Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble adding shared printer.

• Please log in to reply

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I use three computers on my network. One of which is a desktop XP computer that is connected to my shared printer by usb. This pc is also hard wirded to the Belkin Wireless G router. The other two pc's are laptops with Vista OS. The only way that I could access these pc's was to set the router to be used as a access point only. I can share files with no problems. But when I try to add the shared printer all I seem to get is the (ACCESS DENIED) message. I think I have tried everything related to this issue in other fourms before posting this one with no success. Can anyone help me. :)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Did you share the printer from the XP computer?

Share and Share Alike
After I installed my new printer on the computer, I wanted to use it from other computers. I even wanted to print from my laptop computer, sitting on the patio, connecting to the network with a wireless NIC. Before I could do that, I had to share the printer. Windows XP doesn't automatically share printers, which is a good thing when you don't want to share your toys.

To share the printer, I opened the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to my printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder

• Click Start and then click Control Panel.

• Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

• In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer.

• I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.

• I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.

That's it—the printer was immediately available for other computers to use.

Now that I had a network printer, I was ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.

To connect to the printer

• I opened Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

• I clicked Add a Printer.

• Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

Please go here
and here
To learn about setting up a home network and sharing a printer.
You may want to disconnect the printer from the router unless it has a print server, just use it connected to one of the computers.
Thank you.

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you for your help sir. I have already shared my printer though. I have even tried to add by it's location on the network,\\computername\printername, I still recieve the "access denied" messeage. When I search for avaiable network printers it is available. But
ACCESS DENIED!!

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hi,
You went into control panel,
  • opened up printers and faxes,
  • right clicked on the printer,
  • and selected "share"?

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
First! I want to thank you for helping me.

That's right, I did that on the XP desktop computer that is connected to the usb printer. It is showing it as a shared printer on the network I think it must be something to do with XP and Vista but not sure. I did install the LLTD Responder on the XP machine suggested by Microsoft. I also down loaded the latest driver for the printer on the vista machine, but not sure how to install it if Vista won't let me connect to the printer.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK one last question before we discuss fire walls.
You did unplug the printer from the router, correct?
Here is one article that I found.

Right-click My Computer on the host (PC with printer) and then click Properties. Next click the Computer Name tab. Look at the Work group name, write it down. Also make note of the "full computer name". Go to this same place on the client PC (other one) and if needed, click the "Change" button to put it on the same work group.

Next open My Computer. Then click Tools-Folder Options. On the host PC. Go to the View tab and scroll to the bottom of the list and see if there is a check mark next to an item called "Use simple file sharing". If so, unchecked it. May not be needed, but not sure.

Now go into Control Panel-Printers on the host. Right-click the printer and choose the sharing option. Check that the share name is nice and small and that the appropriate permissions are set to allow access.

During these operations, you may be required to restart, that's fine.

If you have done all these and still can't connect to the share, then it is likely a firewall problem. Since you have a router (which should also be a firewall), make sure neither computer has a software firewall running. Check your Anti virus, if it's some versions of McAfee or Norton or Panda, it may have a firewall function, turn it off.

To check the Windows firewall, go into Control Panel and click Security Center. There should be a link to firewall settings on the bottom, turn that OFF on both PCs as well.
Then try to connect to the shared printer again.

I personally think it's a firewall problem, as XP is normal extremely easy for printer sharing. In fact, if certain settings are in place, XP will automatically find and install shared printers, without you even having to do anything.

please go here to learn about windows fire wall.
Thank you.

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Okay, I'm sure I have the pc name and workgroup down.
I will try to uncheck the simple file sharing box and see what that does. I am at work right now and do not have access to my home network. but I will def check that out when I return home.
I will report back with my progess a soon I can get home. Again THANK YOU!!!

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Just a thought, could you hook the printer up to a Vista machine?
Maybe that might work better. (The computer that the printer is connected to does not have to be hard wired to the router. It will, of course, not be as easily moved though).

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I could hook the printer up to my laptop but, I really wanted to avoid that since I take my laptop everywhere I go. I have several laptops through out my home and nobody wants to hook up to the printer everytime they need to print. Plus when ever I come across a problem it bugs me so much that I want nothing else but to fix it. I realize that I might not be able to fix this one. I do appreciate all of your suggestions.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
We will find a solution.
There are many people here who make me look like a beginner, If I can not help then I will ask some one else to.

Advertisements

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
add a user account (with the same password) you are using on the laptop to access the PC that has the shared printer connected to it.

So.. if you are using the laptop and the account you use is Bob with password yoodle then add that exact same account to the printer server. It sounds like a persmissions issue. Doing this will get you around that problem and it should work.

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well okay. First I tried this suggestion here.

-----Next open My Computer. Then click Tools-Folder Options. On the host PC. Go to the View tab and scroll to the bottom of the list and see if there is a check mark next to an item called "Use simple file sharing". If so, unchecked it. May not be needed, but not sure.====

Come to find out that the "use simple file sharing" wasn't on my list. I'm wondering if that can be a problem.

Second, I tried to set up a new user account on the pc connected to my printer, with the same user name and password as my laptop.
That suggestion seemed pretty promising. but it had no effect :)

Then I tried to disable the firewalls on both pc's = No Joy

Why is this happing to me? :)

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I found this to be interesting. I decided to hook the printer to my laptop and install it. Then I shared the printer. I was actually able to print over my home network!! I can finally start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The problem still remains, why can't I print from my two laptops that are running on Vista?? Why can I only print to a shared printer that is running on a Vista machine?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hi,
I do not know how you could not have simple file sharing, unless the machine is set up for a domain. I am under the impression that we are dealing with an ad hoc network. (no server).
You may have uncovered a problem with Vista! If a Vista machine will not share a printer connected to an XP machine there is a problem with Vista's networking.
This is very surprising, and something that I have never encountered before.

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello, Good to hear from you again.
Okay, I don't know if you would call it a ad hoc network. Trying to understand what that means just makes my nose bleed. But you did say "no server". Would you call my set up here an ad hoc network even though I'm using a "SERVER APPLIANCE" such as a wireless router?

I have found on several other web sites that people are expericing the the same problem. Though it seems that some can be corrected it with little work. I have tried a bit of everything I've seen and nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions to fix this problem at all are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!