Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble adding shared printer.

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry. I misused the term ad-hoc.
What I am looking for is an issue with user permissions.
The computer is not connected to a server using active directory. Has this computer ever been part of a network where user permissions where assigned?
The error access denied tells me that there may be an issue on the XP machine with some user permissions.
Thank you
To read up on user permissions you can go here

Edited by hfcg, 21 January 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I would say no to the question " Has this computer ever been part of a network where user permissions where assigned?" I don't know if this is relevant to what you where asking but, I have two user accounts both with full control. I will read the info on the link you sent.

Oh, and other thing. I found a solution to a problem that seems a lot like mine. Problem is i didn't make complete since of it. Plus I'm at work and can't test it right now.
Maybe you can read it and make better since of it. I found it here-- http://help.wugnet.c...orderasc-8.html

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
That is close to your problem. You do not have any cables going from the router to the printer do you?
Just the cable going to the XP machine is all we want.
There does seam to be a problem with XP sharing a printer with Vista. I believe that it is with the Vista OS itself, not the XP OS.
May be that this link will help.
Thank you..

Edited by hfcg, 21 January 2008 - 04:31 PM.

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No, I just have the usb cable connecting the printer to the XP machine. I definitely agree with you. Vista must be the culprit. I will check your link out.

digitalbath24

digitalbath24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) SUCCESS!! I WANT TO GIVE A SPECIAL THANKS TO (HFCG) FOR STICKING WITH ME AS WE FOUND THE SOLUTION. :)

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU EXPERIENCING THIS PRINTER SHARING PROBLEM BETWEEN VISTA AND XP THIS WAS MY SOLUTION.

Create a Local Printer on Vista, Create a Local Port in the form
\\XPMACHINE\Printsharename (this will send the files using the redirector rather than the RPC service). Install the Vista driver for the device.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is me jumping up and down. Thank you for sharing the solution.
My next thought was to suggest a print server as a work around.