Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink for custom computer

• Please log in to reply

jhemfl

jhemfl

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
My computer is idling at 40C and loading at 50C, thats clearly too hot so I'm trying to decide on a heatsink, I have a e6850 w/ a EVGA 680i, and I have the stacker 830 case, so don't worry about the size. I was think along the lines of

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm
ZALMAN 9500A
ZALMAN CNPS 9700
Thermaltake CL-P0114

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Oh and how do I go about removing previous thermal compound? I'm getting some Artic Silver 5 for my new heatsink, and I don't know how to go about getting the old stuff off?

Just questions like....Do I need to remove the CPU before cleaning? What do I use to remove it...etc

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Artic silver also makes a producted called artic clean that works great for removing old thermal pads as well as any paste.

You could also clean up with the highest percent isopropyl alcohol you can find but it don't remove as good as artic clean

FPS Steve

FPS Steve

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
If you're not worried about spending a bit of extra money, Liquid cooling would help, seeing as the temperature is quite hot. But if you have a constrained budget I'd go with the "Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm" because it is fairly quiet, will keep the temperature at an average 17 Degrees C/W, and best of all, is pretty cheap.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Nah, my budget is like $250 for cooling. My only concern is, I'm still kinda a noob with computer assembly. I've only put together one PC and I'm just a bit nervous about installing a water cooling system. Believe me though, I would love to have complete water cooling over air cooling.

Maybe a water cooling kit that is simple and easy to install? I was thinking the COOLIT cpu cooler. My only problem is, if I do go water cooling, I want an upgradable system in case I decide to SLI a second gtx in the future. I want one that I would be able to add on to and be able to add in any components to the cooling system that I needed.

Any suggestions?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Stick with air cooling for now since your new at this, explain your case fan setup to us.

You should have at least one in the rear blowing out, one in the front blowing in. this is in addition to the psu fan.

I also like to have one on the side blowing in if your case permits this without moding.

Make sure all you cables are tucked neatly away and out of airflow from front to back of the case.

40c at idle and 50c under full load are a bit high but won't hurt anything, you can do better though and if you follow the above you just might without additional parts

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm just new at water cooling that's all, I've built a few computers before, just never water cooled.

I have a 680i EVGA mobo, so theres a mother board fan on there as well. I just ordered the Coolermaster Stacker 830 from newegg.com a few days ago, should be here by monday. I'm going to move my computer to that case, I also bought 4 120mm fans for that extra panel on the stacker (newegg sells coolermaster fans 2 for 9.99, can't beat that). So It'll be a different story when I fully move my PC to the Stacker 830, if my temps haven't decreased enough from that alone, I'm going to upgrade my heatsink. I wanted to do water cooling because I've heard that water cooling will keep your computer cooler than air cooling. Plus, I was planning in the future to SLI two gtx's and I think I would deffinitly need water cooling for that.

I was just looking for some suggestions on what you guys thought would be the best heatsink/water cooling kit. I plan on overclocking, maybe not to the extreme but a good .5 - .8 ghz over stock.

PS. I have a e6850 Intel processor.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
bump

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Just finished putting my computer into my new Coolermaster Stacker 830, computer is still 40C-50C idle. Deffinitly need a heatsink.

I finally found out the heatsink I have: its not a stock intel, it is this exact one
Link

I'm reading reviews about people having their CPU's at 20-30C idle with that heatsink, maybe i need to reaply some thermal compound, Cause I still don't understand how I'm idling at 40C-50C

And one more question, could I take 3 Y fan power cables, (ones that you can plug two fans into to make one powercable) and hook up 4 fans, (attach 1 Y cable to each pair of fans and then a 3rd cable that would combine the two pairs of fans creating one outlet) or would that be too much electrical current going through the wire.

Edited by jhemfl, 22 January 2008 - 12:47 AM.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
bump

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Get your self some artic silver5 and follow these instructions to apply, if you over applied it can cuae the cpu run hoter

artic silver instructios

And one more question, could I take 3 Y fan power cables, (ones that you can plug two fans into to make one powercable) and hook up 4 fans, (attach 1 Y cable to each pair of fans and then a 3rd cable that would combine the two pairs of fans creating one outlet) or would that be too much electrical current going through the wire.

I don't really recomend doing that, what is the reason? Not enough molex connectors from the psu?

What psu are you using? If to small this can put excess heat into the case contributing to the higher than normal cpu temp.

There is also another possibiliy, your sensor that reads the temp is reading high. Where are you getting the temps from? If software tell us what software you are using. See what the temps in bios say and report them here also

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
In BIOS my temp is a solid 50C idle. I've planned on buy artic silver when my next paycheck comes around.

as for the cable question, I just wanna cable manage my 830 stacker better, theres cables everywhere and I just wanted to make it look nice inside. The stacker has 4 fans that go in as a second side panel, and as of now I cannot fully open the door or else all the cables get pulled out, so I was gonna buy some fan Y cables and some extensions and wire it through the inside of my desktop.

Edit: Hmm so in those artic silver 5 instructions you don't actually apply it to the entire tp of the processor?, I always thought you had to spread it out.

Edited by jhemfl, 23 January 2008 - 10:12 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You should be alright with the extension cable.

I always point people to the instuctions they are of course from the manufactuer, artic silver, but the way I do it is I put a amount on about the size of a grain of rice then cut a 1/2" strip off a credit card and use it to spread it as thin as I can possibly get it, never failed yet.

If you replace the thermal paste using artic silver like this and you still have high temps I think it would be a inaccurate temp sensor, I have a unsientific test for this, its not perfectly accuate but sometimes you can tell if the sensor is way off. I will explain after you get artic silver and reapply because I think that is your best bet

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yea, I was thinking that the sensor might be wrong also, because it is honestly not even hot at all inside my case AND I touch both the top and near the base of my heatsink and I feel absolutely no heat at all.

AND before I started checking my temps so closely, I had my computer overclocked to 3.6 for two days straight playing crysis on max settings with no issues. then I was just curious to see what temp it was running at and it said 55C and I remember reading that being too hot.

Edited by jhemfl, 23 January 2008 - 11:22 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Core2duo chips shouldn't run any hotter then 65*C, anything under that temp is more then safe. For 24/7 use, I'd try to keep it below 60*C.
Use arctic cooling MX-2 over Arctic sliver 5.
What are you using to record your temps?
James