Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wireless service stopped in Vista

• Please log in to reply

nefra

nefra

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

My wirelss worked smoothly until today. Now Vista doesn't detect any wireless networks (my other laptop detects them on the same location). Diagnosing several times this problem always gives the following message: 'The Windows wireless service is not running on this computer', suggesting to 'Start Windows wireless service'. The next message is that 'Windows cannot resolve the problem'.
I have restarted laptop several times, checked with device manager all relevant devices that are enabled and working ok, then disabled and enabled wireless network adaptor and wireless switch several times. Checked firewall, internet properties - no changes from any previous settings detected. Checked the long list of what to be troublshooted per Windows' recommendation.

I could not do system restore because it was not activated by default and i didn't do any points manually (a new laptop). So, now I could not roll it back, unfortunately. Restoring to the Last Known Good Configuration didn't help.

Please advise how I could fix this issue. Thank you very much.

Configuration: Sony Vaio, Intel Core 2 CPU, 2.17GHz, 32x
Windows Vista Business

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Lets look at the most simple things first, could the switch on the side of your laptop that turns the wireless adapter on and off have been switched to the off position by mistake?
Please look for the switch and note what position that it is in.
Thank you.

nefra

nefra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your answer.
I have tried to eliminate obvious things and checked wireless switch several times, switching it off and on. So, it is not an issue.
Today I have also cleaned the registry with XP Repair Pro and optimized it, checked disk for errors and defragmented.

I also noticed that CPU usage is running unusually high since this wireless problem - idle CPU is about 80%, with dwm.exe and explorer.exe consuming about 32M of memory each.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Sounds like you may have some malware issues.
When ever the idle cpu is that high a lot is running in the background. If this is new then it is probably malware.
please post in the malware forum.
Thank you.