Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

latop screen goes white

• Please log in to reply

mwongism

mwongism

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have an IBM R52 laptop running Windows XP Pro. At different times the laptop screen will go blank to whatever color the background happens to be (white, green, blue...). I have run Adaware, spybot, hyjackthis, looked for errors in the Event Viewer, set the BIOS back to default, re-imaged the hard drive, replaced the system board and swapped the chassis....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
First I would like for you to hook up an external monitor if you can.
(There is an external port for a monitor).
The reason for this is it sounds like your back light may be going bad.
If the external monitor does the same thing than we will have to look else where, but this simple test will help give some insight.
Thank you.

mwongism

mwongism

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thank you for your fast response.
I have not used an external monitor but I have used a complete different chassis which pretty much takes all of the hardware, except for the hard drive, out of the loop.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let me see if I understand what you are saying. You moved the hard drive to a different computer and still get the same problem ... the problem follows the hard drive?

mwongism

mwongism

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ztruker,
thank you for responding.
Yes that is correct, the problem followed the hard drive. I have also done a chkdsk and have also formatted the drive and reloaded the OS and my applications.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
That is actually good news! If it is a software problem it is going to be much less expensive to fix.
I need to ask about any changes you have made right before this started.
Did you update any thing? Lets try two things.
1)Click on the start button.
2)select control panel.
3)open device manager.
4)click on graphics adapter.
5)right click on the graphic card (-graphic adapter
[color =blue] Intel 4500 integrated graphic......)[/color] This is just an example.
6)select properties
7)select update driver.
If there is no newer driver, or if this does not work follow steps 1-6 and then select roll back driver.
Thank you.

mwongism

mwongism

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Since I have already tried updating my video drivers, I have downloaded and installed back to 2 versions ago. I am testing and will let you know the status. Again, thanks for the help.

mwongism

mwongism

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Installing an older video driver seems to have worked. I had to go back to the second previous driver but at least I don't seem to be having the problem any more. Thanks for all of your help.