Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel - Series Fill Problems

• Please log in to reply

blrjohn07

blrjohn07

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Guys.....
I got a silly problem....not getting exact logic for dat...try to help...

See Image 1

I am getting the result 4 nd I understand how its coming....

Image 1
Posted Image

Now see Image 2

How its getting 12.333333 did get the logic

Image 2
Posted Image

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello blrjohn07,

The first one is fine because you add one to each successive number. The second version does not have a standard increment. Going from adding three to adding four won't give you good results in trying to fill a series. I don't think it's possible to change the increment number as the fill goes along. I'm also not exactly sure what you are wanting Excel to do, but you'll probably be better off with an Excel formula.

Regards,

Ax

blrjohn07

blrjohn07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hello blrjohn07,

The first one is fine because you add one to each successive number. The second version does not have a standard increment. Going from adding three to adding four won't give you good results in trying to fill a series. I don't think it's possible to change the increment number as the fill goes along. I'm also not exactly sure what you are wanting Excel to do, but you'll probably be better off with an Excel formula.

Regards,

Ax

Dear AX,

Many thanks for your reply....actualy my point is....see d image 2...excel showing dat value 12.33333...and ofcourse excel doing some calculations..what is dat calculation ?? how it is getting dat value ???

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
It's getting that value because it is trying to make sense of the non-linear increment that you are attempting to employ. Basically, it is putting the values (2,5,9) on a scatter plot and applying a trendline to come up with the next value. The specific formula for the trendline it is coming up with is y = 3.5x - 1.6667

So Excel is really interpreting it as the following:
1: 1.8333
2: 5.3333
3: 8.8333
4: 12.3333

Hope this helps,

Ax

blrjohn07

blrjohn07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
dear AX,

Many thanks for ur nice reply.What u explained it makes sense...absolutely no doubt about it...but my friend...I think i m not so xpart on math for dat still i m not clear about it...

xactly Y = 3.5x - 1.6667 whats d formula ???

I m once again sorry to disturb dude....could u please give any other explanatoin ????

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
No need for an apology, you aren't disturbing me, although I am finding it very difficult to understand the words that you are typing. Could you please try typing in complete sentences using complete words so that I can assist you better?

Thanks,

Ax