Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well, soon i'll have to travel for a long period of time and because i won't be able to bring my home computer with me I have to look into buying a laptop.

I do web and graphic design, so i can't just buy any laptop. Also my budget is between $2000 - $ 2500. I'm looking for 17 inch and 3GB at least.

One of my few options is this one:

ASUS G2S-B2 Core 2

It does look good to me, but i can't find any reviews anywhere. The ONLY one i've found is at CNET and they call it a general purpose notebook.

Pros: Has 3 GB RAM, which is considerably more than some similarly priced notebooks. In fact, the average cost of a product with this ample a RAM is $2,550. Also, this notebook has 1920 x 1200 native screen resolution, which is somewhat higher than some similarly priced notebooks. In fact, the average cost of a product with this high a native screen resolution is $2,520.

Cons: Has a 9.7-pound weight, which is considerably heavier than some similarly priced notebooks. For example, the Sony VAIO SZ240P14 , at around $1, 900, has only a 4-pound weight. The ASUSTek ASUS G2S comes with entry-level word processing software -- serious business or academic writers probably will want to upgrade to a full-fledged office suite .

Suitability: A consumer level notebook, suited for general mobile computing. Preserve favorite home movies for future generations by saving them onto DVD with this computer's DVD recorder. With 256MB of dedicated video RAM, this machine will do very well compared to most other notebooks, when it comes to multimedia applications and games. If you have a wireless network at home, wirelessly browse the Web from any room in your house with this Wi-Fi enabled laptop.

It doesn't look like a general purpose laptop to me, a general purpose laptop for me would be a $800 one.

There's other options out there, but overall this one looks the best to me, there's some other nice choices but most 15 inch , and i cant work with that.

Any suggestions or ideas ? Or does anyone has something to say about this model ?

Thanks.

Edited by coljung, 19 January 2008 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Well, you say you are going to travel with this alot and you also say you are going to want a 17" screen. You may not find a good 17" notebook that will be less than 8lbs, so I hope you are OK with traveling with that kind of weight.

How important is it to have the 1920x1200 resolution? Or the HD/Blu-ray Player? Because you can customize one at HP with the same specs, except for a 2.2GHz, 1680x1050, and an HD or Blu-ray Player for about $400 less (giving you room to upgrade to Vista Ultimate or get some other stuff with it).

Otherwise, Asus makes a good laptop, and this one looks good to me.

Edited by UV_Power, 19 January 2008 - 11:10 PM.