Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Technical error Stop: 0X000000FC BLUE SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hello,

very recently ive been getting the following blue screen critical error when running Itunes and youtube videos. Stop: 0X000000FC it also says something about needing to make a memory dump.

Prior to this id been getting a similar blue screen errors when running world of warcraft but i cant be certain that it procudes the same error code as i had my pc to auto reboon system failure, which ive since unticked to be able to try and diagnose the messages. I tried reinstalling my gfx drivers which seemed to cure the error occuring when playing WOW, but now it happens on itunes and when viewing youtube videos.

This seems very critical and im very worried about my system as I do not want to damage it.

The machine is custom built and the specs are as follows:

Gigabyte 945P-S3 MAINBOARD
Intel core 2 duo E6600
Corsair 2gb DDRII RAM 800mhz dual channel matching pair(when running cpu-z it says it is running at 334.9mhz and im not sure if this is correct)
Maxtor 250gb HDD 7200rpm 8mb cache

The power supply is a beast so it is not a lack of power to hardware.

My hunch is that I have a memory error but want your opinion first.

It should be noted that I recently had a defective motherboard replace with the Gigabyte one. I paid soemone to do this and he told me that I should do a format and reinstall windows asap but I havent, could this be caused by a corrupt installation of my OS?

Edited by icikle, 19 January 2008 - 10:27 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go,
From what I found this is a conflict with a driver.

When you use a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:

0x000000FC (ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY)

Or, you may receive a Stop error after you install new hardware on a computer that supports hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP).
Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue may occur when one or more drivers that are installed on your computer are not compatible with the DEP feature of Windows XP SP2.

Please go here to read the whole article and see the offered solutions.
Thank you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886348

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
im sorry, ive already read this and I didnt understand the solutions or workarounds, how do i identify the incompatible driver, and ive been on sp2 for ages it doesnt explain why its only occurring now.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It may be a conflict when using the programs that are causing the blue screen.
Please go here
to learn how to view an event log. Look for the date and time of the event (blue screen).
Also try the fix of turning off DEP and see if that helps. (the first link that I gave you suggest this).
There could have been an update that caused this to just stop happening, but you mentioned past errors that are related.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

It should be noted that I recently had a defective motherboard replace with the Gigabyte one. I paid soemone to do this and he told me that I should do a format and reinstall windows asap but I havent, could this be caused by a corrupt installation of my OS?

Howdy:

That is your problem right there. You should have gotten a systemboard (mobo) cd with the new motherboard.

Use it to install the compatible XP drivers for your operating system and the new mobo hardware.

Murray

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
thank you ill try this, so theres no chance of this being hardware related?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It looks like a driver issue from the error code that you gave.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Howdy:

That is your problem right there. You should have gotten a systemboard (mobo) cd with the new motherboard.

Use it to install the compatible XP drivers for your operating system and the new mobo hardware.

Murray

Have you done this yet?

Murray

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
the person i paid to install it did this, or so he said, i have the correct bios and everything installed.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ZOMFG, my system board has no device drivers installed, OMG, and i never got a cd it was given to me OEM, not retail.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you know the make and model of the mobo, you can go to the manufacturers website and get them from there.

Murray

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
im there now but theres loads of options, chipset, lan and audo, however my LAN and Audio already work fine. It would explain why itunes is having bother if there are no proper audio drivers though. But my LAN has had no problems. Whats the chipset?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The chipset would install the drivers for all on-board hardware: USB, video, audio, etc.

Murray

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
so shud i only dl the chipset, or the lan and audio aswell, the lan and audio i use are onboard, with the exception of a headset with its own in built sound card.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Personally, I would download and install all the available drivers. Just make sure they are for your motherboard and operating system.

Windows will install generic drivers for alot of hardware but the original manufacturers drivers are the best.

Murray