Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

INSTALL XP F8 ERROR

• Please log in to reply

JJR77

JJR77

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just got a new computer and it did not come with windows so i tried to install xp home. Part way through the install got ask a question (press f8 to agree to these terms) so i did and it did nothing. So i hit esc to exit install and tried to restart my computer.Now it will only go to black screen with cusor in top left corner. please help . what do i do......

Advertisements

mwongism

mwongism

• Pip
  • 9 posts
when booting the computer push F11 to get to the boot options and choose the CD ROM and try to load windows again. if this doesn't work, when you first turn on your PC it will tell you how to get into your BIOS (like pushing F1) and in the BIOS you will find the boot options. Put the CD ROM as the first option and the PC will try to boot from your install disk...hopefully this will let you try to install windows again.

JJR77

JJR77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
cd is in 1 position. tried to reboot with install cd but still black screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JJR77...

Try resetting the BIOS Default settings. Enter BIOS Setup...once there, there should be a setting for Fail Safe Defaults or Default settings...if you don't see those, try pressing the F5 key...then Save the settings (F10) and exit BIOS Setup.

Re-enter the BIOS Setup and set the Boot Priority to:
  • CD/DVD Drive
  • HDD (System Drive)
  • Other (Floppy)
Save these settings and exit BIOS Setup. Try to boot to the CD.

Also...make sure the Function keys are enabled. Some keyboards require that you do this by pressing the F Lock key or the FN key.

Any Change?

wannabe1

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You are most likely not booting from the CD.
A couple things to look at.
1. Does the cd rom light come on? When it tries to read the CD?
2. The cd drive could be bad.
3. The XP home CD could be bad.

JJR77

JJR77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi wannabe 1 ..

thankyou for the help my computer is installing now thx.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :)

Let us know if you run into any more problems.