Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hard drive questions

• Please log in to reply

chiana4477

chiana4477

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My nephew gave me his Gateway 700x because the hard drive is going and I am willing to put in a new one but have some questions. First these are the specs on the pc;

processer speed - 2.66
chipset Intel - 850E (Intel pentium 4)
hard drive capacity - 8gb
drive controllers - IDE
install memory - 2g
install video memory - 128gb
video card - NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200G W/ TVout & DVI graphics accel.
model# - ATXAEG LX2

I am not sure of the rest of the specs yet. Still looking. The main questions I have are;
Where do I find a compatible hard drive and I am not sure if my nephew has all the discs that came with the pc so I can reformat the new drive. Where do I get them? I heard Gateway can be jerks about getting replacement discs.
I know I can copy all of the applications and drivers to a disc, but have never done that.
He told me the hard drive does work but it takes about 30 minutes for it to start spinning.
I know this is a really nice gaming pc (at least in 2002 it was) and it was FREE!!
I am what you would call an experienced novice. I should also be able to go to Gateway and download some of the drivers but first I have to get her up and running to see what is in it. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. As far as the actual replacement of the HD I have a really cheap, but very good computer geek friend who will do it if it,s too complicated. All the rest I can do. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive, therefore any hard drive will work.
Anybody who works with computers has spare XP/98/Millennium disks floating about either at work or at home so its no biggie if you already have a valid licence stuck on the case.
Applications can be copied to disk but they won't work afterwards. They would need reinstalling from the original CDs/downloads. Drivers you can get from the Gateway site.

Edited by Neil Jones, 19 January 2008 - 03:47 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive, therefore any hard drive will work.

Well, perhaps not quite - if the original HDD is an IDE, replace it with an IDE. SATA is the new generation interface, so make sure you don't purchase a SATA drive. :)

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
If you are installing xp then most of the components should be recognizes by the operating system.

If you are installing win 2K then you need to also install service pack 4. This was the last service pack that came out.

The hard drive cant be more that 250 gig if that is your direction.
Also 2g ram is its full capacity.

Seems like the computer does have a future.

chiana4477

chiana4477

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks alot, the computer guy i work with told me to buy the hd and he has a windows xp gateway disc and will download everything else i need and he only wants $50 for the whole job. kiss my a#@ geek squad! for what they want i could buy a new pc. thanks. also the hd is an ide.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
He sounds like a nice computer guy! :)

Glad to hear it's sorted, let us know if you have any more problems.

Troy.