Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best accessory for improving wireless range/speed/reliability?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what antenna/whatever you think I should get which falls under these categories?:

Under £60; easy-ish to install, improves wireless range dramatically, preferably something that connects to the laptop - not the router, something that should make my wireless signal much more reliable so I can play games online without packets always getting lost etc (don't have ethernet near my PC)?

I've got my eyes on the Wi-Fire and Cantenna. Do they live up to the hype? Will they probably help reduce the lag I'm experiencing in online games (on ethernet I don't lag)? Is there anything just as good/better than these antennas?

Thanks all,
Dom

Advertisements

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
...there must be some people with experience with the WiFire/Cantenna/alternative products!

Dom

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
I do not know any thing about the WiFire/Cantenna/alternative products.
My suggestion would be to go with the draft N router and adapter. Only that will cost more then £60.
I really just did not want you to feel ignored. Please be patient and some one with more knowledge will give you a good answer.
Thank you.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
I do not know any thing about the WiFire/Cantenna/alternative products.
My suggestion would be to go with the draft N router and adapter. Only that will cost more then £60.
I really just did not want you to feel ignored. Please be patient and some one with more knowledge will give you a good answer.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be more patient then :)

Yeah, I was considering a draft-N router + adapter but thought it wouldn't be best for me because I might want to use this with my grandparents' router too, and theirs isn't draft-N so the adapter woudn't help in that case.

Dom

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
here is a link to the (UK) Linksys wireless G range expander.
I do not know if this will help.
Thank you.