Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Current Situation

• Please log in to reply

Goff

Goff

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, well my current situation is that I have 2 hard drives, the primary with Windows ME on, which is almost a full drive and a better 80GB hard drive with Windows XP on ( the 1 I always use).

However, my father is used to ME so continues to use that. With the current situation, am I losing performance, or doesn't it affect it?

Also, I currently have 512MB of RAM, but have another 512MB in the cupboard, but am afraid to put it in because I've read that ME doesn't work with more than 512MB. Any ideas about this, and is it possible I could limit the first hard drive and ME to 512MB, whilst allowing XP and the secondary hard drive to run with the full 1GB, if I put the extra 512MB in?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory Windows ME will work with up to 4Gb of memory.
In practice, for such an old version of Windows, you don't really need more than 512Mb and it baulks at more than this amount anyway, as its taken all this time to get systems shipped as standard with that much memory.
A better solution would be to make a new account for your father but set it up in the Windows Classic mode which is very much like Windows ME but with all the benefits of XP. You can then throw as much memory at it as you want.

Goff

Goff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ah yea, I get you!

If I did that, then I wouldn't need the primary hard drive. Could I easily remove this hard drive and make the current secondary drive the primary drive? Or would this change not really affect performance?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Shouldn't make any difference, just tell it not to boot off the ME drive anymore.

Goff

Goff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ahh, ok, cool, thanks! I can still have the ME installed on the primary drive but automatically boot XP at startup then yes?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Yes.

Goff

Goff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok thanks!