Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont log on

• Please log in to reply

Anagii

Anagii

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My laptop goes to the log in screen, where you pick your user, then when you click to log in it says that it is logging in.. then it switches to saving your data and logging out.. Can someone help me please. It does the same thing if i try to go into safe mode.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Do you have a copy of a Windows XP disc? Preferably the same as that is insalled on the laptop.

Edited by Titan8990, 19 January 2008 - 04:47 PM.

Anagii

Anagii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I do... but everytime I try to use it it says that it can't find alot of the files.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean when you say but everytime I try to use it it says that it can't find a lot of the files?

Do you mean if you try to do a Repair or Clean install the installation process can't find a lot of files?

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode and doing a System Restore to a date before this started happening?

See here for Safe Mode info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Anagii

Anagii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I try to repair windows on my computer it keeps saying that it can't find files and that if you don't have those files windows wont install correctly.

I can't log on even in safe mode. And when I tried to do a system restore, when I started having "Explorer.exe - bad image" errors, it did absolutely nothing and the only restore time was that day and after the errors were taking place. Then it just started not letting me log on but it had a different screen (not the normal log on screen). I came on here and looked at what others did to fix the problem and it was usually using the CD so I tried to use the CD and it told me files could not be found. But it did restore it to the oringinal log in screen that the computer came with.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, let me see if I understand what is happening.

Laptop system, you can't login, you can't boot to Safe Mode.
When you try to use your XP CD to do a Repair install, you get many "missing file" error messages.

Either the XP CD is defective, dirty or scratched or your CD drive is going bad. Try cleaning the CD with a soft cloth and a little (very little) soap and water. Clean from the inside edge to the outside edge, do not wipe in circles.

If that doesn't help, see if you can borrow a CD drive from a friend and try it in your computer, see if that helps.

Follow directions here to do a Repair Install: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If still no good, then you need to look at memory (RAM) as it can also cause this kind of problem.

There are two programs that are normally used to test computer memory, Memtest86 and Microsoft Memory Diagnostic. They are available from the following locations:

Memtest386
Microsofft Memory Tester