Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeping my PC "fresh"

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi all,

Could someone please provide me with a list of must-have applications to keep my PC running at optimum efficiency? Things that will keep my PC fresh and in tip top shape.

Thanks,
Slikkie

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Slikkie,

I have a few suggestions. You have some good items already listed in your signature. First you should use Windows Update to make sure your system is kept up-to-date. It might also be good for you to install a firewall utility. Thirdly, run disk cleanup and disk defragmenter once a week. Fourth, run the check disk utility once a month. Make sure you regularly run scans with your antivirus and antispyware programs with updated definitions.

I also like to use the FileHippo Update Checker and the Secunia Personal Software Inspector to make sure all my applications are up-to-date.

This isn't a comprehensive list, but if you need any other recommendations, please let me know.

Ax

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thank you for the reply Ax238. :)

Is there a good Open Source program that will allow me to defragment my disk? I don't like the default application in Windows XP. Also, should I use an Antispyware program if I have BitDefender Internet Security 2008?

Slikkie

Edited by Slikkie, 20 January 2008 - 12:17 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You're welcome.

jkDefrag is an open source defragmenter that you could use as an alternative. Also, I always think it's good to have multiple anti-spyware/anti-malware tools at your disposal, so yes I would say you should have a dedicated anti-spyware program as well. You may not need a firewall with that security suite though.

Ax

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let me add one suggestion here. System Restore is a tad flaky some times. I've found that if I regularly (I do this once a month) remove all restore points then create a new restore point, System Restore is very reliable. Perhaps this is luck but it's worked on multiple systems for me.

The key to doing this is to make sure your system is running correctly first, no malware, no performance problems, all hardware functioning as it should.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Slikkie, are you looking for all free programs, or are you ok with spending money? A lot of the essentials can be replaced with a free program which does about as good of a job, but I just wanted to see what your stance was on that.