Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading memory...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Whoa, okay. Looks like I've sparked quite a conversation here.

Let me explain deeper. I have 2x512MB right now (dual-channel) DDR PC3200 400MHz taking up 2 of my 3 slots. I upgraded to Windows Vista and it runs pretty quick (faster than I thought), but I feel like I could use the extra memory for all the multi-tasking Vista "does for you". I wasn't looking for new memory but I noticed 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Corsiar for $60 (after Mail-In rebate :)) so I picked it up.

Since my friend uses PC3200 memory as well, I was faced with two scenarios:

1) He said he would pay for half and take one stick, essentially leaving me with a single 1GB for $30.
2) Give him my old RAM (which he does not want to pay $30 for, I may end up just giving it to him), and replace my 2x512MB with 2x1GB.

I prefer the first scenario.

we need more information from UV.

I like playing 3D games mostly, but I haven't bought any games recently (I think the newest game I play is Prey with medium settings :)), and I also do a lot of programming, mostly C++ and Java. I also go on the internet enough, but I think that's irrelevant.

So, I may not NEED 2GB of memory, but seeing as how PC3200 memory prices just keep going up as time goes on, the fact that I use Vista now, and since I don't want to upgrade my whole computer anytime soon, I think 2GB will come in handy. I'm not sure if 2x512MB dual-channel, and 1GB non-dual-channel would be enough, which is why I started this post.

In short, my question is would it be worth the $30 to get 2GB Corsiar rather than 1GB Corsiar and 2X512MB (dual-channel) Kingston?

Edited by UV_Power, 22 January 2008 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

In short, my question is would it be worth the $30 to get 2GB Corsiar rather than 1GB Corsiar and 2X512MB (dual-channel) Kingston?

Sorry about the delay in my response, I'm getting hit pretty hard with university related work.
No I don't think you'd see a significant difference if any at all. I'd just stick with the 2GB (1GB stick + 512mbx2) you have now.
As long as you have 2GB of RAM you should be set to go. As you can see from the links provided by happyrck, you'll see a slight advantage between dual channel and single channel methods.
Whether ~2FPS is worth $30, is up to you. I'd personally stick with what you currently have.
James

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thanks. I think I have my answer. :)

Edited by UV_Power, 24 January 2008 - 12:25 AM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Memory Upgrade Progress Report:

I made the upgrade to 2GB and there was NO change whatsoever (that I could see) in the load up time, the download speed, or the multi-tasking. I ran 3dMark05 (outdated? :) ) both before and after the upgrade and there was only an improvement of < 1 FPS. The few games I played confirmed it.

So, I have scrapped the project and I am back to 2x512MB Dual-channel and I guess I will leave well enough alone.

.......in case you were wondering :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Load up time: Assuming you mean of Vista, this is based mainly on hard drive speed.
Download speed: Based mainly on your internet connection.
Multi-tasking: Based mainly on CPU.
3dMark05: Based mainly on GPU.

So none of the things you tested would really show the benefits of the extra RAM. What would show the benefits would be using programs like Photoshop, Cad design software, other graphic design software, recent games, etc. that need a lot of RAM.

Even if you don't have a need for it now, for $30 I don't see why you don't invest in a little future-proofing.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Load up time: Assuming you mean of Vista, this is based mainly on hard drive speed.
Download speed: Based mainly on your internet connection.
Multi-tasking: Based mainly on CPU.
3dMark05: Based mainly on GPU.

True, but every program needs memory and now Vista is pretty intense about running things in the background (indexing, Superfetch, etc.). So, I thought those programs would open/close/run faster with the extra RAM since there was more available to use in those other processes. This experiment was to see if the claims of NEEDING 2GB of memory to run Vista well were true.

Even if you don't have a need for it now, for $30 I don't see why you don't invest in a little future-proofing.

Point taken. :)