Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB= Rediculous

• Please log in to reply

nofinga911

nofinga911

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok I just got a new HP Q6600 and for some reason my external hard drives will not work when plugged intothe usb ports on the front of my computer. They only work with the ports in the rear. It is a pain in the --- to get to the back of my computer and when i pull the computer it getsa banged around. I purchased a usb hub that enables you to plug 4 usb's into one port and it has extensions so i dont have to pull the comp out all the time. But when i plug my hard drives into the hub, they ndo not work. What is going on??? How can i get these things to work??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Front USBs tend not to receive as much power as rear USBs so devices that draw a lot of power (such as external drives) may refuse to work. The same thing happens with some hubs as well.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
There are two simple solutions.
1. to buy a usb extention cord for only a usb port and connect it to the rear usb.
Here is a picture

2. get an active usb hub. This is a usb hub with its own power supply so that it does not drain power fron the usb ports in the computer. this can be connected fron or rear.
Here is a picture

Edited by vally, 20 January 2008 - 07:28 AM.

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
wow thanks Neil and Valley....what the both of you said makes a lot of sense. Wow thanks so much guys this was driving me crazy. I will have to get one with a seperate power source. Thanks guys!

nofinga911

nofinga911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok try to figure this one out....I got the usb extension...and I still have the same problem....why??????????????????????

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
What usb hub did you purchase?