Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No malware, no Trojans, Lots of issues.

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Let me whine a bit.

I have windows 2000 and use IE6.

Microsoft released a cumlitive update that wreaked havoc on my browsing experience and since I removed it I am still having issues, among which are:

Page not found error message
Page cannot be displayed error message
Back button taking 10 seconds or more to activate
Pages freezing in mid load or not loading at all
EBay is acting really weird. Loading very slow, not responding

I called my ISP and we ran a speed test on the DSL. They say it is running fine at or over the expected speed it is listed to be.

I ran through the Malware routine and was told things looked fine.

Have used Trend Micro, Panda, and a few other scanners and have found nothing but a cookie or two.

But the problems remain and none of these things happened prior to my downloading one of Microsofts "fixes"

So the question of the day:

What the heck do I do?

Thanks,

Scott

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
the first thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

next get diskeeper lite here

defragging will speed up your computer...you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

try here...do the red tweaks

Edited by happyrck, 20 January 2008 - 10:20 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This sounds very much like a corrupted Winsock (Windows Sockets API). Some Googling found several references to Winsockfix.exe which works for NT, 2000 and XP. Give it a try, see if resolves the problem.

Winsockfix.exe

Unzip it then run Winsockfix.exe. Use the RegBackup button or install and run ERUNT to backup the registry first, then click on the Fix button.

Reboot and see if things are better.