Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I delete this?

• Please log in to reply

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi, can I have some advice here please. I recently bought a new computer running Windows Vista Home Premium with a 320 GB Hard Disk. In "Computer", it says I have a hard disk COMPAQ © 215 GB Free of 290 GB, and Recovery (D) 1.01 GB Free of 7.88 GB. So, have I got 2 hard drives, or is it one drive partitioned into two? I was asked if I wanted to make a recovery disk, I said yes, and I made a recovery disk that filled 2 DVD's, so is this the imformation on the D drive, if it is, can I delete the D drive, or the imformation on it, or format it or whatever, or just leave it?, it's not that I'm desperate for space. And whats this "Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 GHz 2.33 GHz", Has the PC got 2 processors, to make it faster? Any links, so I can read up about it. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You have one drive split into two.
If you make your Recovery CD media using the supplied software, Drive D will become usable for your own stuff.
Core 2 Duo is the brand name of the processor and it is dual-core - two brains on one chip.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
What happens if you have some freak crash and your cd rom doesn't work? Perhaps having that partitioned space with the Recovery image will be handy then. During boot, you can access that recovery drive from Bios to do a system restore.

I have the same set up. I use the extra space for back-ups of things I might accidentally delete from the main drive. Seems to me that was HP's idea behind allocating so much space there.

Edited by PsychPosse, 20 January 2008 - 10:22 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Best build the recovery media onto CD.
Then if you need to replace the drive, you get back all your preinstalled software which you'll otherwise lose.
If the CD media packs up, no big financial deal to replace it.

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thanks for the advice, I have made the Recovery disks on 2 DVD's, but I may keep the "D" drive as it is for now, I can always deleat it all later, if I need the space, Thanks again.