Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are *your* computer speeds?

• Please log in to reply

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hey everyone. I'm just curious as to how my speeds stack up against others. I have Comcast cable connection. When I lived in a much smaller town, my speeds were actually MUCH faster than they are now. Now that I'm in a city... they aren't as good. Yes, they're still quite fast. :) But I honestly think that the smaller areas have better speeds, due to not as many people sharing the "lines". :)

Anywho... try using SpeedTest. Post your results here, along with your ISP/internet type.

Posted Image

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
DISTANCE SHARE
1/20/2008 6:52 PM GMT 3145 kb/s 319 kb/s 67 ms Lexington, KY ~ 100 mi Close

Share this result with others by selecting one of the preformatted image links on the right.

Forum link (for most forums):
Hyperlink (for web pages):
Direct link (to send in messages):

so how come my downloads run at 365 Kb/s?

Edited by hfcg, 20 January 2008 - 12:56 PM.

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Posted Image

I don't feel like it's that fast way. :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Pretty sad here: But it might have something to do with "faint" wireless signal I am picking up from my router which is over 100 yards away :) Oh, and I live in the sticks.

Posted Image

Edited by PsychPosse, 20 January 2008 - 01:12 PM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Posted Image
Pffft :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Use SpeedTest.net once or twice a month to keep a running track of CableOne.net.

Posted Image

They do vary over the day/month and at what times you are on. Most cable companies, and Comcast is the worse, cut back users bandwidth at certain times. They say no, but read their Terms and Policy info. My friend in Tennessee uses Comcast and they block usage of Firefox even!!!! He verified that for his area.

Ron

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

They do vary over the day/month and at what times you are on. Most cable companies, and Comcast is the worse, cut back users bandwidth at certain times. They say no, but read their Terms and Policy info. My friend in Tennessee uses Comcast and they block usage of Firefox even!!!! He verified that for his area.

When comcast bought the road runner accounts the service went from great to no service.
When people complained they tried to blame it on user error (25000 user errors).

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Posted Image
New Knoxville, OH population 353
Johanna

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Posted Image

get a 16k to Maryland, yet when i connect to the one in DC i get 8k (which is closer to where i live) its slower... guess too many people connect there.. :)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Posted Image

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ScHwErV, are you living on a campus?
Posted Image

Use SpeedTest.net once or twice a month to keep a running track of CableOne.net.

These tests are actually pretty useless now. I know a few ISP's in canada are actually giving speed bursts for the first ~15 seconds of a download, this will give you a falsified report from these scanners because your measuring the burst rate and not the average speed. I know Shaw does this in Canada, I believe Telus and bell might do it as well.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2008 - 10:42 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Campus? Heh, not even close. College was a very long time ago for me.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) I have never seen transfer rates that high unless the person was on campus. I wish I had your ISP, as my ping is terrible on games and somewhat trouble some when download patches for games (Company of Heroes had a 1.7GB patch in September, ????!!!!). Though I think that's partly due to the onboard NIC in my computer.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 January 2008 - 10:47 AM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Here's my speed, Posted Image We have a company called so-fast that is our internet provider.. We call it "Slow-Fast" :)

Edited by AgentMES, 21 January 2008 - 12:00 PM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Relatively local from Northern California to San Fransisco
Posted Image

Cross continent - California to Washington, D.C.
Posted Image

Note to HFCG

Keep in mind that Speedtest dot net is measuring between your machine and a designated server.

You mention actual download rates of 365kb/s.
"Actual download" may/probably involves more hops and is additionally dependent upon the equipment, built in speed limits, and local traffic at the host site that is feeding the content up to their server network and eventually to you.

Download rates of 365kb/s are really not that shabby at all.