Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are *your* computer speeds?

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Use SpeedTest.net once or twice a month to keep a running track of CableOne.net.

These tests are actually pretty useless now. I know a few ISP's in canada are actually giving speed bursts for the first ~15 seconds of a download, this will give you a falsified report from these scanners because your measuring the burst rate and not the average speed. I know Shaw does this in Canada, I believe Telus and bell might do it as well.
James

But the ones run by speedtest.net and most broadband speeds testers are averaged over time and not bursts so they are not useless. They do change from day to day, week to week as Internet factors are not controllable, but they did catch the fact my ISP had not bumped my speeds up to what I had been paying for. A call to the tech line got that straighted out. It doesn't hurt to keep a check on your broadband. Preferably by using the same server each time. It will catch problems.

Here's another site for tests:

Speed Test

Ron

Advertisements

Student101

Student101

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Posted Image

yay dial-up! *grumbles*

mrbreeeeze

mrbreeeeze

• Pip
  • 8 posts

ScHwErV, are you living on a campus?
Posted Image

Use SpeedTest.net once or twice a month to keep a running track of CableOne.net.

These tests are actually pretty useless now. I know a few ISP's in canada are actually giving speed bursts for the first ~15 seconds of a download, this will give you a falsified report from these scanners because your measuring the burst rate and not the average speed. I know Shaw does this in Canada, I believe Telus and bell might do it as well.
James

Posted Image

This is my Shaw results. I subscribe to Shaw Extreme which is a 10 meg down and 1 up and I always averaged 9900/990kbps before Shaw gave speedburst to all its Extreme customers for free or $3/mos more for basic high speed, 5 down .5 up.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
%5b/URL%5d">Posted Image

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Here's another site for tests:

Speed Test

Ron

Using this one, I show 26474 download and 1178 up :)

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Posted Image

I've been able to download a 350MB file from NYC at 1Mb sustained....but only on a Saturday night when I get out of work and nobody else is really using the network

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Posted Image

Well it has that wrong for sure. Our connection is suppose to be much lower than that.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Posting this from my school, not a bad speed at all (compared to what I have at home :))

Posted Image

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Here are my results sigh

Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Posted Image

I used to have it a little quicker than that, but there's no longer a test server in Brisbane (much closer). Even so, I can pretty much sustain these speeds, I'm very happy with my ISP, never had down-time etc...

Why do some people have uploads way higher than their downloads :)

ScHwErV, I thought you had dial-up? Got an upgrade?

Troy

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I actually cant do speed tests from home. My ISP must block them. I don't generally use dialup anymore I have EVDO service through my cell phone. I tether with my HTC 6800.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

I actually cant do speed tests from home. My ISP must block them. I don't generally use dialup anymore I have EVDO service through my cell phone. I tether with my HTC 6800.

How's so? I don't suppose it's legal (since it's your right to see if they deliver their promised speeds to you)...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

How's so? I don't suppose it's legal (since it's your right to see if they deliver their promised speeds to you)...

Agree. In fact, the FCC is looking, finally, into Comcast's blocking of some services and I hope they start taking a closer look at all of those who have the policy for cutting back a user's bandwidth if they "use too much".

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I guess that one of the problems with big ISPs, or large companies for that matter (Microsoft). We don't have these kind of problems here because ISPs here are rather careful, since most of the internet traffic is actually P2P related. If they cut back on anyone, they'd find themselves in big trouble. There are rumors of some ISPs doing that but personally I haven't encountered anything like that (not that I 'use too much').

All in all, I am pretty satisfied with my ISP, they have excellent 24/7 support and they always answer right away, without too much menu navigation.

Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
This is why I want broadband.. slow broadband would even do me wonders

-evil stare-
wouldn't work for me >.>