Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are *your* computer speeds?

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Oh, I see. This is precisely the same case in Israel. We used to have one telecom company that, like you say, forced other companies to pay it for using the infrastructure. It's been privatized in 2005, however today they face a lot of competition from cable internet providers, which caused a major price cut. But we still pay two bills: one for the telecom company, for the understructure and another $15 for the ISP itself (in my case, it's the same company as the ISP: however, because they're privatized now, they are two 'totally different' companies, so it's a mess)

I guess that there is no cable internet in many places in Australia, so that telecom company doesn't face any competition...

Edited by landlord, 06 April 2008 - 06:55 AM.

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Posted Image
My ISP is Comcast

Got to take these things with a grain of salt though because there's alot of things that go into your internet connection. For instance I have an old cable coming from the pole (slows connection), the cable is split two ways (slows connection), then I have the cable going into an older modem (slows connection) and finally I have it running through a router (slows connection slightly when no one else is using it). Also as was said before these tests ping the site's servers not the ISP's so thats something to consider.

If you want your actual speed you need to ask your ISP to ping their server and that'll tell you what your max speed will be..

That being said these sites are pretty good for giving you a general idea of how fast your internet is.

On a side note in a few months I'm going to get the cable guy at my house to run some new cable and give me a new modem. My modems like 7 years old and is rated for something like 36 mbps when my ISP is supposed to run at something like 54 mbps. So I should be lightning fast.

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 06 April 2008 - 11:37 AM.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

I guess that there is no cable internet in many places in Australia, so that telecom company doesn't face any competition...

Most cities/towns have the option of cable. We have issues with rural versus urban. Even thought there are some areas that are quite urban and they still have difficulties getting an adsl connection.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Posted Image

Thats from AT&T DSL Service, Time Warner just offered me 15mbps down with all the other options im getting from AT&T for $5 less a month. So I think I'm going to switch.

Nic_van_Dessel

Nic_van_Dessel

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Posted Image

arghhh :)

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Posted Image

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Posted Image

SenShiS

SenShiS

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted Image
hm... seen better days :) :) :)

user error

user error

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Posted Image

This is just from work though. :( Wonder how bad it is at home.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts

Posted Image

Mine is really pathetic. :S

My newest speeds:

Posted Image

Not a major improvement, but yah, still a improvement. :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is mine

Nemesis

Nemesis

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Posted Image

I'm moderately satisified since Rogers has a 60GB up/download limit per a month.

GlenGreen

GlenGreen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
http://www.speedtest...t/272614966.png

London.

Not bad.

SmileyXX

SmileyXX

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted Image