Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU compatibility help (Newbie)

• Please log in to reply

beerman1981

beerman1981

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

This is my first post here, and any help would be highly appreciated. I need to know if the upgrade I want to do is possible with my current motherboard. I currently upgrading my DELL dimension E521 and am wanting to put in an AMD 64X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0 GHZ processor (as I am constantly multitasking). Here is a link to it.

(http://www.amazon.co...00644931&sr=1-3)

My current processer is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. I ran CPU-Z to gather additional information about my current CPU and motherboard and here are the specs:

940 pin
Socket AM2

Motherboard:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 (nForce 410/430)

Is my current motherboard prepared to run a Core 2 processor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Typically I would tell you with those specs it would be good to go. After I looked at pictures of the inside of the Dell model you have, I find that this might not be the case. These are the photos I found: http://www.dell.com/...u...g&~lt=popup.

It appears that there is something covering the CPU such as a air duct. You should check to make sure this is easily removable or has room for a standard heatsink.

Is my current motherboard prepared to run a Core 2 processor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No, for this you would need a LGA 775 Intel board.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 January 2008 - 01:49 PM.