Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer laptop slow down from built-in Wireless hardware?

• Please log in to reply

Daren

Daren

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A65-S1068 (with a 512 Mb RAM module added). Earlier this year, the laptop kept freezing in the middle of use. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after an hour or two. I realized that if I turn off the built-in wireless hardware (via a switch on the computer), the freezes stopped. But, I had to use the internet at important times, and gradually the computer has been slowing down little be little to the point where MP3s cannot be played smoothly at all.

Fortunately, I received an external wireless card as a graduation gift and have been using it for the past couple of months (with the built-in wifi permanently turned off). The slowness of the computer is still present though, and I've been trying to read some of the tweaks some of the people have posted on this forum. Speed has slightly improved, but software still take much too long to load, and simple tasks like MP3 playback and video are still not smooth as they once were.

Is there a fix to this besides reinstalling Windows XP? I've also considered using the repair feature in XP that is stickied here, but I'd like some suggestions.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Daren & welcome to the forum.

First run the 'error checker' on drive C: by right-clicking the C: drive icon, choose 'Properties', click 'Tools' tab, then click "Check Now". Tick both options. click 'Start', and reboot -- error checker will run and return you to Windows when it's finished.

Next, run the 'Disk Defragmenter' after first making sure the Recycle Bin is empty, and that real-time antivirus protection is disabled since it can cause the defrag tool to run in an endless loop of re-starting and never completing:
Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter

Remember to re-enable the real-time antivirus protection when defrag is complete.

If problem persists your laptop may be infected with performance-degrading malware, and you should download and run 'HijackThis' and post it's log to the malware forum only, here:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Please read the 'pinned' posts at the top of the malware page for guidance on how to use 'HijackThis' and other malware cleaning tools.

You can download HijackThis from here: http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

Edited by pip22, 20 January 2008 - 02:17 PM.