Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Cut During XP Restore - Help!

• Please log in to reply

Kath_m8

Kath_m8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - Can Anyone Help?

Over the Xmas period, there was a problem with our electricity supply and my computer blew - accompanied by a wisp of blue smoke and the acrid stench of electrical burning!

A friend kindly put an old power pack into my computer, so I could still use it until we can get hold of a replacement. The power pack was not strong enough to run the entire system, and drive D was not recognised - but at least I had drive E, so at least I could still do stuff! I began to have a few problems with a couple of programs - they wouldn't run properly - I couldn't update them, and they wouldn't uninstall either. So I decided to restore the computer back to a time before I first installed them - not to be beaten, of course!

The restore session was approximately two-thirds of the way to completion, when there was a total power-cut - my computer died. When the electricity supply was up and running again, I started up my computer, but windows wouldn't load. All I got was the 'Blue Deathscreen'!

Stop: c0000135 (unable to locate component). This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I am unable to re-install from the CD, as neither drive will load anything now! I have interrupted set up and tried all of the available options: from Safe Modes to Last Known Good Configuration and even normal start up (just in case!) - but eventually end up back at the 'Deathscreen'. I also tried to run chkdsk and even reg restore from DOS - to no avail!

Does anyone know of a download that will help resurrect my computer - or anything else that I can do to put some life back into it? I've borrowed a laptop from a friend for a while - at least until I can find a solution to my problem. Just keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have another power cut!

Please help if you can!

All responses gratefully received...
Regards,
Kath_m8

Edited by Kath_m8, 20 January 2008 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi, welcome to G2G,

Need to boot the Recovery Console, do you have a XP CD? If not, download a CD iso image from either of the following sites:

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Once you are at the RC command prompt, you can manually copy the data from a restore point to their correct locations, see here:

http://forums.cclonline.com/showthread.php?t=1183

Looks daunting at first glance, but read through it a couple times, then print it out and follow the steps one by one.

Post back if you have any questions before you start.

Good luck.

Kath_m8

Kath_m8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for the advice and links. I don't know how it'll work, as I've got to change the boot order, so my computer will take the CD from the E: drive instead of D: - because it doesn't work at the moment!

Anyway, I'll give it my best shot and let you know how I got on.

All the best :)

Kath

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sometimes you cannot make the computer boot from the 2nd CD drive. If you have problems, you can try disconnecting the first one (D: currently) so the 2nd one becomes D:, then it may boot.

Reconnect the drive once you are done.