Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,

We have a Dell Inspiron notebook at home (purchased May 2006) with an internal wireless card NETGEAR router. The wireless connection was working great until a few days ago when, instead of automatically being connected as we usually are, we received a message "Problem applying profile!" from the Intel PROWireless program. This doesn't happen when we connect via a neigbors wifi (for diagnostic purposes only, of course :) ).

I did a search online with this message and tried some of the suggested fixes. One was a hot fix to Windows Service Pack 2 (http://support.micro....com/?id=893357), a second was to disable data execution prevention (DEP) for the Intel software (http://www.intel.com...b/CS-022793.htm), and a third was to go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and repair the Intel program. The first two solutions did nothing. The latter fixed the problem for about 10 minutes, and then it came right back.

Someone mentioned modifying the Intel program components to do a "pre-log on connect" or something, which I did and now I have a much larger problem - Windows is asking for a password to log on, which we've never used and don't have so the PC is unusable at this point (any suggestions for this tiny little side-problem are of course appreciated!!).

We know the router is working fine because my wife's notebook can connect to the Internet with no problems. Also, we can use the Internet with no problems when connected directly.

Thanks in advance for any help. Obviously I need a way to get into Windows first (I was hoping I could get around it with Safe Mode but to no avail) but when I do I suspect this problem will still be there.

~Doug

Edited by Prog_Frog, 20 January 2008 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Password problem may not be a problem at all, but a feature that's deliberately designed to 'put off' casual snoopers and meddlers. . Leave password box blank if you know you did not set one, then click 'Continue' or 'OK' or whatever.

If the wireless problem persists, you could disable it permanently and buy a wireless PC card which slides into an external slot under a flap on side of laptop, or a wireless USB adaptor. Both of these alternatives use their own wireless configuration utility, not the troublesome Intel one.

Edited by pip22, 21 January 2008 - 03:25 AM.

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,

I have resolved the password issue - thanks. The wireless problem is still there. Any thoughts on things I can try before I spend money on a wireless PC card?

Thanks,
~Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this..
click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot
no joy...

Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter