Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router To Modem To Comp. Need help!

• Please log in to reply

tlittle08

tlittle08

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently bought a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 Port Swith, Model # BEFSR41. I have a Qwest High Speed Internet DSL Modem Actiontec Model # GT701. I have a Dell Computer running Windows XP. I cannot get the internet to run through the router to modem to comp. The LED Light on the modem and router turn green meaning its working but it wont work. Maybe i have a cord or two in the wrong place? Can anybody help me solve this problem. Its giving me a headache. THanks.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi tlittle08.

I just want o first verify the way things are currently wired... It sounds be Wall jack connected to the modem, and the modem connected to the router, lastly router is connected to the computer, right?

Wall -> Modem -> Router -> Computer (sometimes it just makes more sense to illustrate in a diagram :) )

Now, when they are connected, if you open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.10.1 into the address bar, does it prompt you for a user name and password?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah thats the way i think it supposed to be wired. I typed that number into the address bar and it said it could not open the web page and qwest quickcare 2.0 came up and tried to diagnose the problem and couldn't do it. It said that the modem wasn't connected to the comp. i dont think i have some cords into the right spots. i dont know exactly where to put them.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I have a Dell that some one gave me and when I connected it to my router I had the same problem.

Check on the back of the computer and see if there are other places to plug in the cable, mine had two on board ports and an add on card and when I switched the cable to the other on board port it worked for me.

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i dont know what an on board port is. i only see a couple of spots where cables could go anyway. their is a symbol that looks like a phone where something could go, one that looks like 3 boxes stacked on top of each other, and one that ooks like a line that has two little squares on one side and one little square on the other side. Othere that that i dont see where anything could really go. Those 3 ports are on the back of my computer. if you need to know what ports are on the back of my router and cable/dsl modem. let me know. thanks.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The one with the three boxes is your Ethernet Port. That is where the cord coming from the router plugs into your computer. The cord looks like a big phone line. Is that what you have plugged in now?

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the port with the three boxes stacked on top of each other or the one with the little squares? i have a decent sized blue cord that goes into the ethernet port on the back of the comp. the one with the little squares, and for the port with the three boxes stacked on top of each other, there is nothing in there right now and i think there should be something there. any ideas. and where does that "big phone cord" the blue one connect to after i plugged it into the comp. the internet port on the router or one of my four ports? thanks.

Edited by tlittle08, 20 January 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The one that looks like a big phone cord looks like this image... Click here... Now, that Ethernet cord needs to plug into the port with the three boxes stacked on each other, or the port in this image... Click here... This is all you really need for the computer to connect. I can't seem to place the one you describe with the three little squares... I'll have to research that. So go ahead and plug the Ethernet cord running from the router into the Ethernet port on your computer. Let me know how things are.