Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble with xp

• Please log in to reply

remnant12

remnant12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi im really stuck for ideas of how to sort out my pc. i have windows xp and about 3 days ago i was sent a virus which lead to some of my programs getting wrecked! i really need to reformat my pc but have a problem with the operating disk. basically my cd/dvd drive reads dvds but not cds. when i check the status fo the deivce it says that everything is working fine. it will not read my windows disk or any other audio or software cds. how do i do a sytem reformat without the disk...or what are my options wiht the disk ?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You boot the XP CD, you don't try to use it from a booted XP system. The you format the drive during the install process.

See here: Clean Install - Michael Stevens Tech