Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with installing iTunes

• Please log in to reply

Snowdrop85

Snowdrop85

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have been trying to upgrade my iTunes to 7.6, I have been unable to upgrade since version 7.3 it fails right at the end, well this time it didn't work either. I took the advice of the Apple support pages and uninstalled iTunes but when I try to re-install I get this during the first part when it is installing QuickTime,

A portion of the folder path " is invalid. It is either empty or exceeds the length allowed by the system.

I click OK and get this,

The installation of QuickTime did not complete successfully. iTunes requires QuickTime.

I have tried to uninstall QuickTime but I get the same messages.

Can anyone help me?! Apple have no support system for these type of issues.

I literally don't know what to do now, I can't get iTunes back with out removing QuickTime, but I can't remove QuickTime!!

Advertisements

Snowdrop85

Snowdrop85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Someone on a different forum suggested the Window Installer Utility, which I just noticed in a previous post. That worked!

mvm_puzzled

mvm_puzzled

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this exact problem, the message appeared when upgrading to the latest version on iTunes which comes bundled with a quicktime, the invalid folder path message appears and the install fails, I have tried quicktime upgrade as a stand alone but this fails as well and using the windows uninstaller for quicktime leads to the same message. Using the repair facility in the installer has not helped. Next I uninstalled iTunes but still cannot uninstall Quicktime and now cannot even access the old version of iTunes. My new iPod nano requires the update otherwise I would just have left things alone. Any ideas what next?

mvm_puzzled

mvm_puzzled

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this exact problem, the message appeared when upgrading to the latest version on iTunes which comes bundled with a quicktime, the invalid folder path message appears and the install fails, I have tried quicktime upgrade as a stand alone but this fails as well and using the windows uninstaller for quicktime leads to the same message. Using the repair facility in the installer has not helped. Next I uninstalled iTunes but still cannot uninstall Quicktime and now cannot even access the old version of iTunes. My new iPod nano requires the update otherwise I would just have left things alone. Any ideas what next?