Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UBUNTU

• Please log in to reply

pooky28681

pooky28681

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I tried installing ubuntu, it has deleted everyting from my computer, and it will not install. Now even when I try to reinstall my windows 98 recovery disk , it will (go through the motions), but when it says eject cd and hit ok. all i get is a blck screen with a fashing dash, and can not do anything. No keyboard buttons works, etc. Please help me, this WAS my sons computer and I can't afford to get him another. I heard it was simple as I am completely computer stupid. But someone lied. Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I have not dealt with Ubuntu much, but that sounds like a boot loader problem.

Normally, your existing data will not be deleted unless you are asked and reply that you want to. Did you do this?

What it sounds like you need to try is to re-install the Windoze boot loader. You can boot from the Linux disk (typically) and enter in "rescue" and that should be an option. There is also a way to do it from the WIndoze boot CD too.

pooky28681

pooky28681

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
it did not ask me anything. and I tried to restore form my recovery cd to no avail. All I get is a white screen with the ubuntu cd.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Ubuntu does not work on all machines (I have one which it won't work).

What happens when you try to boot without the Ubuntu CD? I thought that you wanted to get back to running WIndoze.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Windows won't be able to remove the Linux partitions, the Windows fdisk can't deal with them. You can remove them by installing DBAN to a floppy, boot from it, when the boot prompt comes up type in "quick", without the quotes, and it will completely erase the hard drive and remove all the partitions. Then you can reinstall Windows or whatever you want. If you want to nice version of Linux for for older machines I suggest with Anti-X Mepis7 or PCLinuxOS TinyFlux, they are light weight and both use a legacy kernel.

cable89

cable89

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i am currently running on Ubuntu i never really experionced any problems are you using 64bit or 32bit pc virsion? try 32 also if they dont work try PC linux which is really easy and make sure next time before u install check the requirements and sometimes the CD drive might be too fast so try checking that or try another copy cause if its a boot leg it might have been a bad coppy cause it happened to me so let me know how it goes ok? good luck