Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply

Stan4851

Stan4851

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have comcast cable modem that connects to my computer via a USB connection as my ethernet connection is not working. I purchased a Treadnet wireless router and cannot figure out how to hook it up, because it does not have a USB option on the rear of the router. It is an ethernet WAN connection with 4 ethernet slots. Any suggestions how I can use this router and hook it up?
Stan

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hey Stan.

To my knowledge, the only way to make this work on the configuration you're running on is to use an Ethernet Adapter. This adapter will allow for you to keep your configuration, just with a little different hookup. For example, the cables need to be setup so that the wall jack plugs into the cable modem. The cable modem plugs into the router, and the router to the PC. It sounds like the only issue you have is the connecting running from the router to the PC. What you could do is take an Ethernet cable, and plug it into the router. In the other end of the Ethernet cable which should be connected to the computer, insert the Ethernet Adapter. The adapter will more-less make it so that the end of that wire now has a USB tip instead of an Ethernet tip. Plug the USB tip attached to the adapter into the USB port on your computer.

In theory, this should work. You may suffer a little bit of speed and/or reliability, however, every user has their own experience with that. To be honest, the setup I have mentioned is a bit confusing. It's hard to explain. here's a really simple diagram of how to work that.

Wall Jack -> Cable Modem -> Router -> Ethernet Adapter -> PC

I think that explains it better than the text, but that's just me :)

Here's an example of an Ethernet Adapter... Keep in mind that this just happened to be the first one I clicked on, it does NOT have to be this expensive. Click here to see that page.

If you have any questions, let me know. :)