Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp home edition desktop stopped working

• Please log in to reply

sherryjg

sherryjg

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi my windows xp wont work. first it started off by deleting some of my games and other things i had downloaded. then after i tried to log on it would not show my icons on the screen it just showed the background picture. i tried to do ctrl+alt+del but that would not come up. i tried to put in my system restore cd but that didnot work it said the systen shut down could not coninue or somthing like that. now i cant even get the computer to turn on the button light comes on but nothing happens.

do i have a virus or is my computer gone forever.

what can i do to fix this cause my old laptop which is what i am using now is too slow for me. i cant even look at videos on it and i miss my xp

please help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what kind of computer is this...make and model #

sherryjg

sherryjg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi my desktop is emachine and on the back of the computer it has this:

part no 72-72-10354-29

model emachine w3107

s/no
cca5c-500-05285

thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Put the restore CD in the CD drive then power off then power on the computer. If you see a message saying "Press any key to boot from CD" press the Enter key. Follow directions to restore your computer to factory settings.

Understand that this will wipe out everything on the hard drive and it will be just like it was the day you bought it.

Read through the Users Guide for your machine here if one didn't come with it:

http://emachines.com...amp;model=W3107

sherryjg

sherryjg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
my computer wont turn on now

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you hear any beeps when you press the power button...if not ....your power supply is probably bad...
if you have access to a known good one try putting it in..

sherryjg

sherryjg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no the light comes on and i can hear the fan but nothing else happens. do you mean plug it in somwhere else or get another power cord for the computer.

ok i got it to power up but i still dont have icons nor can i get the recovery disk to work or the crtl alt del. when i put in the disk it says stop sytem fatal error.

even tried to do safe mode and it will give me a black screen with safe mode on it but no icons

at least i can power on now somwhat. please help what should i do next?

Edited by sherryjg, 22 January 2008 - 09:55 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no ..I mean power supply...look here..
bad ram can cause this too..

Edited by happyrck, 22 January 2008 - 09:54 AM.

sherryjg

sherryjg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh ok i see this. but do you think i need to buy a new one or is there somthing i can do now

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

if you can't get the computer to run memtest then you will have to replace the power supply..

Edited by happyrck, 22 January 2008 - 10:45 AM.