Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

System playing up. Malware?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Today I had a sudden unexpected problem arise that never happened before. I was browsing the web, and suddenly my mouse stopped, cursor stalled, mouse went off, and the whole computer stalled and crashed. Then I restarted a number of times, maybe 6 times before the mouse worked again, and I then went into safe mode (I use Win XP), and did a virus scan, nothing came up - before the pc crashed, my firewall had warned me there was a downloader from a website that was perfectly safe a year or more ago, but we think some wretched scammer/hacker stole that domain from that website and made it into a virus website, but that downloader didnt show up in the virus scan so I think firewall may have prevented it? I use nortons 2006 (always updated renewed yearly) for both anti-virus and firewall. Then I restarted computer back into normal mode and everything was ok for a bit and then the mouse went off suddenly, no red light, nothing, and the keyboard would not work. The computer is a 4 yr old pentium 4 that's about all i know about the hardware. What could be the problem?

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
If you feel this may be malware I would like to ask you to post in the malware forum as they are the experts on malware.
Even though you have security soft ware your machine could be infected, when it comes to malware there is no program that can promise that you will never get infected.
Thank you.