Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've been having huge trouble finding a decent, affordable motherboard in Australia. I was talking to a friend from the US and he'd just bought an XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard. I quite liked this motherboard, USD$149, so about $180-200 AUD. Unfortunately the lowest priced one I could find in Aus was around $300. So I continued looking.

I just found ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9-SLI. It seems to have most of what I want out of a motherboard (although supporting 1066MHz DDR2 would have been a really nice feature. You can't overclock for this can you?).

I'm just posting here seeing what you all think of the motherboard. Or any better suggestions for around or under AUD$200.

I jsut spent $180 on a case and $170 on a PSU, so i'm a little poor right now.

Advertisements

FPS Steve

FPS Steve

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
This supports 1066 Mhz DDR2 memory and is fairly cheap, i was considering getting it when i had money.....

Edited by FPS Steve, 22 January 2008 - 07:23 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey Seltox, you have 2 graphics cards to run in SLI? If not, try looking at P35 chipset motherboards, they're very quick and stable :) The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (which I have) comes well under your price range.

Of course, if you need SLI, please continue :) Just something to think about if it's helpful at all.

Troy

EDIT: Looks like we got the same ideas, he just beat me by a minute :) A very similar board!

Edited by troy, 22 January 2008 - 07:25 AM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I have a Gigabyte board currently, and i've become no fan of them. I've been trying to steer away from them. But that board does look like it's got everything I really want. I'll be bookmarking that one. Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Currently I'm loving this board, but also look at the Abit IP35-E (or there's a Pro version), it's also excellent :)

Troy

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Had a look at those two Abit boards. I've got a bit of a problem with those.

I have an Antec Nine Hundred case, the PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case, and the 6-pin power connector in that board is right at the very top.
I've just ordered a new PSU which should get to my house tomorrow or there abouts (Corsair HX-620W), but I don't know (or think, for that matter) that it would reach all that way :).

I just went looking for some RAM, too. And i'll just be settling for 800MHz. So that Fatal1ty board is looking perfectly fine for me right now.
I read a review on it and they had a lot of trouble getting the system to run the FSB at anything other than 375MHz. Abit said it was a BIOS problem, and was fixed with the next version.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with the ABIT FP-IN9-SLI? I really want to know more about it.

EDIT: I'm curious about PCIe 2.0. Will a PCIe 2.0 card work in a PCIe 1.1? Anyone know if this Abit motherboard would support an 8800GT which is PCIe 2.0?

Edited by Seltox, 22 January 2008 - 09:35 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Had a look at those two Abit boards. I've got a bit of a problem with those.

I have an Antec Nine Hundred case, the PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case, and the 6-pin power connector in that board is right at the very top.
I've just ordered a new PSU which should get to my house tomorrow or there abouts (Corsair HX-620W), but I don't know (or think, for that matter) that it would reach all that way :).

It should reach all the way, if not I do believe you can purchase adapters (extensions).

EDIT: I'm curious about PCIe 2.0. Will a PCIe 2.0 card work in a PCIe 1.1? Anyone know if this Abit motherboard would support an 8800GT which is PCIe 2.0?

Yes, yes. I'm running a PCI-Express 2.0 card now in a 1.1 motherboard :)