Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista... How come I can't find info on creating a backup disk?

• Please log in to reply

Manybears

Manybears

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:)

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Laptop with Vista Home Premium that I purchased about 6 months ago and never got around to making a backup disk for it since one didn't come with it!
I finally have enough time to do it now and can't find any relevent information anywhere that applies to me directly. It all mostly pertains to "Vista Business" and others but not to "Premium".
I like to format my computer once a year to get rid of the garbage and operational issues that come into it. In the past I have always recieved at least a rescue disk or actual operating system disk with other computers I purchased. I'd like to make a Copy of my OS on Disk for safe keeping for if or when my computer crashes.
I know it's possible since they tried to sell me on it at the store that I just bought my new computer at.

If any one can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Murray

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
From "Help" (control panel > Backup and Restore > "which type of backup should I make")

Your entire computer..........Windows Complete PC Backup

When you first set up your computer, you should create a Windows Complete PC Backup image, which is like taking a snapshot of the programs, system settings, and files on your computer. You can use the backup if your computer ever stops working. Although this type of backup includes your personal files, we recommend that you back up your files regularly using the Back Up Files wizard. You should also update the Windows Complete PC Backup image every six months.

Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore is not included with Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.

Manybears

Manybears

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, (I looking at that a while back but it didn't want to transfer on to my external HD, I might have the wrong file system on it..I haven't looked yet!?)
So I will be able to format my "C" and "D" partitions and then copy my files from my backup source and place them on my computer and everything will operate as it does today?

Thanks again

Murray