Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

rhteast

rhteast

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently upgraded to xp service pack 2. I then upgraded from Office professional 2000 to Office 2003.

When I open Outlook, it opens slowly and then hangs up.

I have reinstalled it, repaired it and still have problems. I have also tried to disable the Network firewall...still no good.

Advertisements

perfor8r

perfor8r

• Pip
  • 2 posts
rhteast,
I have the same problem. I have tried booting in Safe Mode and Outlook seems to work fine, but going back to Normal Mode it hangs up.
If you find a remedy can please post it and I'll do the same, this is really frustrating.

Good Luck :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Norton AV then click its options then misc and remove tick from office plug in

perfor8r

perfor8r

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Keith, that seemed to do the trick!!! :tazz:

One question though. I've had Office 2003 running on my new computer for over the past 6 weeks, and then only today does it start acting up.
Any reason why it acts up now?

Cheers.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should have started straight away, but as long as its fixed.

Thank you for letting me know

rhteast

rhteast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I spoke to MS Support, there seems to be a problem where SP2 corrupts certain Outlook 2003 files. The tech had me rename them to .old and reboot and Outlook has been doing fine. The problem is that you will need to import the old OUTLOOK.pst to save your emails and contacts.

The files he had me change were:
frmcache.dat
extend.dat
outcmd.dat
outlook.pst

You can do a search to find them. On my computer they were in:
C:\Documents and Settings\PRIMARY\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
and
C:\Documents and Settings\PRIMARY\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FORMS

Where PRIMARY is my Computer's Name

Good Luck

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello rhteast

Thank you for the details

Keith