Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't access Microsoft/Windows websites........

• Please log in to reply

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, thanks for that. All that is really needed to be looked at is the hosts file, just hosts. The other ones are backups that don't really come into play. If there is no plain hosts file, we'll need to restore it.

Advertisements

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
There are three other files there, Networks, Protocol and Services..............are these of any significance?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Nope, all we need to see is the hosts file contents.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
So, if they are not in the file section where your link sent me, where will they be? What I copied and pasted is the full content of the 'hosts' listed files.

Edited by Zanshin, 11 February 2008 - 03:28 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Well, the single hosts file should be where the other ones are. The ones that you posted were hosts(1), hosts(2), hostsmsn, and lmhosts. What I need is just plain old hosts, if you have it. :) If you don't have it, we'll probably need to restore you a new one.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
The "hosts" files are NOT actually numbered 1 and 2.....I just did that to avoid any confusion over how many "hosts" files were in the folder when I replied to you.
So, I will await the next step from you.
Thanks
Zanshin

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, then that means you hosts file checks out just fine. I found some information that might be beneficial to try:

Information from MVP Steve Winograd:

This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP Over
Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
should solve the problem:

1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2 on the ICS host computer.

2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown here:

http://www.annoyance...w/article04-107

and then make the setting manually on the client computer, or use
DrTCP to make it:

http://www.dslreport...ront/drtcp.html

3. Download the free RASPPPoE program and install it on the host
computer. Use it instead of XP's PPPoE program. Details at these
sites:

http://www.wown.com/...ig/adslpoe2.htm
http://www.raspppoe.com

See these sites for more information:

Connectivity Problems on ICS Clients When You Use a PPPoE Connection on
a Windows XP ICS Host - http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319661

Troubleshooting MTU Size in PPPoE Dialin Connectivity -
http://www.cisco.com...router_mtu.html

The standard ethernet MTU is 1500; PPPoE is 1492.

If you get stuck in the instructions, please let me know and I'll assist you.

Ax

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Seems I have another problem now...........I went to your first link (annoyances.org) and tried to do a ping test, but as soon as I pressed 'ok' in the 'run' command window (after typing ipconfig) the 'run' window just disappears. Tried it several times and the same thing.
Zanshin
p.s. I believe I did a MTU check back with Ztruker (maybe just before ) and I am sure my machine is set at 1492. Also, some of the stuff we are doing now is going a little over my head so may need a bit of coaching.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Zanshin,

Go to the run command window, type cmd, and press Enter. Now you can type in the commands and the window won't disappear.

p.s. I believe I did a MTU check back with Ztruker (maybe just before ) and I am sure my machine is set at 1492.

If this happened, it didn't happen in this thread, because there is no reference to it in any of the previous posts. I'd suggest you make sure.

Also, some of the stuff we are doing now is going a little over my head so may need a bit of coaching.

Yep, just ask when you have a question.

Ax

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Ax, I have a pertinant question before I execute some of the above MTU changes.
The computer with the problems (Microsoft sites access) is MY desktop machine and is the host computer......the fix you are advising appears to be for a 'client' computer which is having trouble accessing certain websites, which my wife's laptop is NOT experiencing. How should I proceed??
Zanshin.
p.s. My wife is a Webmaster (but it is me in my best and limited way who keeps the internet connections and the computers/hardware running) who spotted the anomaly with the MTU config.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I believe you will probably want to ensure that your ICS host computer has correct MTU settings first. My suggestion would be to validate the host computer settings and leave the client alone for now.

You can analyze your TCP/IP settings with the following:
TCP/IP Analyzer

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Below are the copy/paste results of the analyser. Before that, I must say that I did a ping test on (wife's laptop0 client computer and it returned 1500 as the MTU.
Other anomalies on MY host machine (now that I have done the TCP/Ip test)are the fact that whenever I reconfigure my program defaults, for some reason thay do not stay changed to what I want.....several times recently I have re-set IE7 as default browser (and other settings also)but I see Firefox (which I have as backup) is now the listed browser, not only that but I see "Web fun Products" appearing in the browser listings, which I thpought I had cleaned out many months ago.

SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP Analyzer

TCP properties for IP = 82.125.174.127 (82.125.174.127)
Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; FunWebProducts; (R1 1.3); .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

TCP options string = 020405ac0103030201010402

MTU = 1492
MTU is optimized for PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

MSS = 1452
MSS is optimized for PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising your MTU value.

Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 257004
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)
Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 64251

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
511104 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
255552 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
127776 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
63888 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 10280 kbps (1285 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your TCP Window limits you to: 4112 kbps (514 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 44 hops
TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Interesting...Let's put this thread on hold for now.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Will do Ax and thanks for your help thus far.
I must say, that I have recently been infected with a Trjan and had to do a complete scan with sys restore shut off (Avast, Uniblue , Ad-aware and Spyhunter used) but I thought my machine was cleaned.....maybe something got into the machine a bit earlier.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
It quote possibly could have done just that. If your system ends up being clear of malware and the issues persist, we still have a few other options to try, so don't despair.