Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP

• Please log in to reply

colbalt49

colbalt49

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I TOOK MY HARD DRIVE WITH XP AND PUT IN INTO ANOTHER COMPUTER NOW ALL IT DOES IS REBOOT. I GET A ERROR MESSAGE JUST BEFOR IT REBOOTS. IT GOES TO THE SCREEN WHICH GIVES YOU THE OPTIONS. REGULAR BOOT,BOOT FROM LAST KNOW GOOD BOOT, SAFE MODE. I HAVE TRIED ALL TYPES OF BOOT NONE WORK I FIXED THIS PROBLEM ONCE A LONG TIME AGO BUT I CAN'T DO IT NOW. HELP PLEASE THANKS.

Advertisements

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok, there are several questions that you need to look into:

1) Is this computer EXACTLY like the one you took the hard drive out of? If not, there's probably an issue.
2) Even if the computer's exactly the same, it could cause problems like this.
3) It's always best to load any operating system clean on a new harddrive install.
4) The registry may be corrupt.
5) Did you try the hard drive in the old computer?
6) Had this computer ever had an OS on it? If so what was it? 95, 98, 2K, 3.x?
7) How much memory does the computer have?

I could go on, but you get the point.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
As far as I know, you can't just move your Hd with an installed OS to another computer, due to different hardware. I think you have to do reinstallation, or clean install for it to work.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am surprised you fixed it once (with XP)? It worked fine with pre-windows 2000 machines, but....

The only way this ever works that I know of is to remove the drive, put it in another machine, and run a repair process using a windows CD, BEFORE you boot to the OS the first time....

Now, your chances of restoring this installation are pretty slim, I think.

Your best, easiest bet is probably dropping the drive into another XP PC and copying your data, then wiping the disk and starting over.

sorry

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I've often wondered if running sysprep on a harddrive before moving it would work, but have never tried it out.....that doesn't help your situation, though.

Another thought, no clue if it would work, is creating a Bart's PE disk with an external registry editor and blowing away the hardware enumeration key (if possible), then trying reboot to see if it will detect and install new hardware....but I don't have a clue if this is possible.