Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fssm32.exe is using all my cpu

• Please log in to reply

ddubbs

ddubbs

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
My system is running really slow. I run spybot and ccleaner regulary and i have a security software from my cable company so i'm not sure if my problem is spyware, adware, virus etc... I noticed that a lot of my system resources are being used by fssm32.exe. I have seen threads on this site that you guys were able to resolve this issue. I am hoping that i can send you a copy of my hijack this report to see if i am overlooking something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ddubbs

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This fssm32.exe file can be part of the F-Secure anti-virus program. Do you have F-Secure on that computer?

ddubbs

ddubbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
yes the computer has f-secure as part of charter.com security suite. I have had this software for 1.5 to 2 years and never experienced this issue before. Any help and or suggestions would be greatly apprieciated. thanks again

Ddubbs

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Uninstall and reinstall F-Secure?

ddubbs

ddubbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Rich,
Are you suggesting that i uninstall the entire charter security suite? I will give that a try and post the updates. Thanks again for your help.

Ddubbs

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Ddubs,

yes, that is exactly what I' saying. Uninstall all of it. Delete all it's folders wherever you can find them. Scan the registry for charter entries and delete them.

Reboot then reinstall.

ddubbs

ddubbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Good afternoon Rich,
I have completely uninstalled the entire charter security suite and have run ccleaner afterwards. I did not reinstall yet because this is where the story gets good.
Now all of my CPU is being used up by a svchost.exe which is part of windows XP . I did some researh and learned that it may be caused by a windows service that allows windows to automatically update and from what i have read that there is a patch available. I have tried to fix this by stopping the service that controlls the auto update for windows. This did not resolve the issue. I then tried to unistall and reinstall the windows service. I did this with a script that i found on the net. This also did not work. I found myself running in circles trying to resolve this issue. Have you heard of this issue before and do you know where i might be able to find the patch that will fix this issue? I welcome all suggestions and want to say thanks in advance.

Ddubbs

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
ddubbs,

There are more things then the windows update that uses SVCHOST.

We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwise we may be wasting our time.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).