Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old harddrive files protected?

• Please log in to reply

Manybears

Manybears

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I had my desktop computer crash. My theory is that on of the clips broke on the CPU and the heatsink and fan wasn't sitting on it properly and overheated...but that's another story.
I took the HD's out of this computer (which was running XP and I had a password on my User) and put them in a external HD case to extract the files to my new computer but I keep getting "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" then it says click "Continue to access this folder". Then i have to go through all this security stuff to take ownership of the folder but it I have to do it for all the folders inside that folder also.....and I have alot of folders inside folders. This could take me years!

Is there an easier way to either take ownership of all the files at once ( I clicked the tab that said something about subsequint folders or something like that and it still didn't work) OR Is there a way to bypass all this and copy them back to my HD?

Thank you for any info,

Sara

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take ownership of the top-most folder, there's an option there to apply it to folders and sub-folders as well.