Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to save to external hardrive..

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Okay I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place. I have been dealing with windows XP forever and today I had to get a Vista because my XP hardrive completely crashed and my brother couldn't fix it (and he's very smart with computers but now he is gone so I cannot ask him what I am about to ask you all). Okay I got an external hardrive for Christmas and had been using it woth the XP and today I plugged it into the vista. I am able to access the external hardrive folder and everything but when I try to save a download to the folder I get the error:

J:\NSSetupB.exe
You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

So what am I supposed to do? Please help me.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello ILoveDaniel,

The reason why you are getting this error is because when the hard drive was formatted it was formatted with a earlier version of the NTFS file system(Windows XP). A permanent way to fix the problem would be to copy over all the data to your Internal HDD or another external and reformat the drive.

There is a workaround though.

You can look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931277 for the work around.

Edited by tuxmaster, 01 February 2008 - 02:07 AM.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thank you for your response. :) For now I'll have to use the workaround.