Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sears Sells Latest Sub-$200 Linux Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

For the second time since October, a sub-US$200, fully equipped Linux desktop PC is available for sale to U.S. consumers.

Starting Thursday, Sears.com is selling a Mirus Innovations Inc. desktop machine that runs Linux from Linspire Inc. for $299, minus a $100 mail-in rebate, Linspire said in a statement. Another $15 discount is available through this Saturday, for a final price of $184.99. Shipping is an additional $16.50.

The new Linspire/Mirus PC includes an Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, a 56K modem, a CD-RW burner, a media card reader, keyboard, speakers, mouse and Linspire's Freespire 2.0 Linux operating system. The machine also comes with CNR Basic Service, which gives users one-click online access to free and commercial Linux software to fit their needs. It does not include a monitor.

More...

Ron

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Not bad at all! If I were in the US, I'd buy one for ocassional travel. Good deal :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm thinking about getting one.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
:) I thought it was a laptop!

It's not bad for malware testing, or for backups, or a small media center :)

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Wal-Mart recently had an economical desktop running an open OS that sold out in record time from both stores and website. A few people complained of the lack of support for the OS - evidently the PC did not come with a manual, leaving some people confused. The bulk of the buyers left very favorable feedback on their purchase. Having Linspire is really nice - that's around $50.00 value alone - and from what I understand it's very user-friendly and well-supported.