Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Starter

• Please log in to reply

whyme

whyme

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Not sure what you would need to see in order to dianose me, but here is the problem:
I have a slow start up. I am not sure which programs are causing the issue, but something has to be. I spent the majority of the day do scans for malware, and did some system optimizing, and although things are much better now than they were this morning, i'm not convinced this is the best it will be. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi whyme, welcome to G2G.

Can you be a bit more specific. What part of the boot process is slow? Is it when the system starts booting, when the black screen appears, when the blue Windows boot screen appears, before you get the login screen, etc.

Have you looked at what processes are starting when your computer boots. Once it's running, press Ctrl+Alt+Del which will bring up the Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and see what is there. 25-40 is normal, any more than that is excessive (though my laptop has 50+).

Post back with more info and we'll see about getting your system cleaned up.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello.
To be more specific, what anti-virus are you using, how much RAM do you have, are you using AOL or another messenger program that comes up automatically?
Does your anti-virus start a scan when you first boot up?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A bit more info also:

What is the make/model number of the computer?
What is the CPU speed?
How much memory does it have (RAM)?
How big is the hard drive and how much free space does it have?

Has it always been this way or is this a recent change?
What have you done to the computer around the time this started? Did you add or remove hardware or software?
Did you run a registry cleaner?

I know all this sounds like a lot but it allows us to understand your problem better and gives us a better chance to help you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get hijackthis..
launch it

Create a Startup List

Open HiJackThis
Click on the "Config..." button on the bottom right
Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
Check the 2 boxes next to the Box that says "Generate
StartupList log"

Click on the button "Generate StartupList log"
Copy and past the StartupList from the notepad into your next post

Edited by happyrck, 22 January 2008 - 08:20 AM.