Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Notification Wnd

• Please log in to reply

smokininkman

smokininkman

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am running Windows XP
I paid geek squad to fix this problem, and every three weeks it keeps reoccuring. They obviously aren't the geeks they say they are.
Here's my problem:

Whan I close down my computer, a window opens saying that this program will not close down, and I have to manally hit close, for the computer to shut down. The program is:

Notification Wnd for PNSetup Mgr.

Anyone know what this really is and how to solve it?

Thanks

Alan

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi smokininkman...

This is usually associated with a hijacker virus.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This may be an infection called PopNot.exe. Check your Startup menu to see if it is listed to start at bootup. Go to Start and click Run. Type in msconfig and click OK. Select Startup Tab and look for this file's check box to be checked to start. Uncheck, click OK and reboot as asked. On reboot, the window that pops up, just click the lower left check box and you wont see it again on boot up.

If this doesn't help, you may have to visit the malware section provided no one else comes up with the answer.

Ron

smokininkman

smokininkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you all. It is not Popnot, or at least does not show up as loading at startup. I will sopend the evening following the instructions in the malware forum and hope that sloves the problem.
Thanks again

smokininkman

smokininkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
One final question as to the Malware instructions. I have installed AVG and am ready to reboot in safe mode.
It says to make sure no programs are running. I do have Trend Micro Internet Security installed on my system. Do I have to disable it first before rebooting into safe mode, and how do I go about that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will probably not start with Windows in safe mode. If, by chance, it does, disable it while you run AVG. It's not good to have two active scanners at the same time as they tend to interfere with each other. You should be able to right click on the system tray icon and choose disable or exit from the options in the menu.

You will probably have to post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum and have the experts help you find that one...they can sometimes hide pretty good.

smokininkman

smokininkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK. Now I'm totally confused. I went into system startup and disabled the trend files before closing down and rebooting.
Rebooted in safe mode. Ran AVG. It found 2 items, which I know what they are and they are OK. They are not the cause of the PNSetup thing.
There was no log listed to save. I just closed AVG and rebooted. Of course the usual PNSetup window opened, and this time, iot would NOT let me "end now". Finally right clicked and hit close, and it worked and the system rebooted.
Now ALL KINDS of things reloaded at startup, things which geek squad had turned off as they slowed my system down. I don't remember what all they turned offf in startup to go back and turn them off again.
Went and deleted AVG and it asked if I wanted to save the log files and two things in quaratine. I said yes. I'm confused because it did not show any log file, and now there is one which I saved and I don't know where it is.
I'm tempted to just go back and restore my system from the restore point I created.
The PNSetup thing was just an annoyance. I'm unaware of any damage it was doing, except slowing down the system a little. I'm scared I'm going to mess something up.

In looking around this site, I noticed that this problem (PNSetup) has happened to other people. If I continue, how can I be sure that the problem will be solved. And will someone be able to help me with turning things off in startup that are not needed, so I get to where I was before?

Really appreciate all your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just run HiJackThis and post the log...one of the experts will be along to help you. System Restore is likely full of infected files and registry settings, too.

Let them know in the post about the problems you've had in running the scans so they can avoid that until they get you cleaned up a little.