Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

snails pace!

• Please log in to reply

Trash man

Trash man

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
hello all
a couple of days ago i had this question so i asked around.
i got all sorts of weird answers. so i thought i would ask here.

what makes a computer fast! i mean what does the speed depend on????

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Many factors.
Amount of memory, speed of memory, processor speed, processor load, running programs, condition of hard drives, fragmentation of hard drives, condition of the Windows, condition of the user account, peripherals connected/used... you name it, it may be dependent.

Trash man

Trash man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ya but there must be some core component that makes the most difference.... and wat is actually "fast"

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
There is no core component. All the bits are essentially a team.
You can have a slow processor but fast memory, and vice-versa.
What constitutes "fast" in your eyes might be slow in somebody else's eyes.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Even where your things are stored on your hard drive can make a difference (faster on the outside, slower on the inside). When making your partitions, make the partitions for things you need to be fastest first. Such as your Operating System. As partitions will be created from the outside of the disk, to the inside (a harddrive has an actual moving disk inside of it. It spins and an 'arm' thing reads it as it passes. Obviously it will be traveling faster at the outside of the disk).

Personally, I take the processor as being the most important thing, but if the rest of your computer isn't very good, putting in that Core2 Quad processor simply won't help very much at all. As it has already been said - a computer is like a team, only as good as it's worst part. Kinda.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
This is kind of like asking "how does the human body work?"

Well, you need the brain to think, so obviously it's the brain that is important.

Oh, wait but that brain needs oxygen, to be supplied by the lungs and carried by arteries in blood which is pumped by the heart.

I don't want to go through a whole anatomy lesson here, but you get the picture. There is no one key part that just magically makes a computer "go". All of the parts (and the health and quality of all those parts) are important for a well functioning PC.

Trash man

Trash man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
hm... makes sense give me an example.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

hm... makes sense give me an example.

This is beginning to sound like you're looking for an answer to a school/college assignment question.
Please forgive me, but the ideology presented in this thread alone is not exactly difficult to follow. So you should be able to work out an example on your own.

Trash man

Trash man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok thanks anyway