Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious help needed with windows xp home start up issue

• Please log in to reply

j4m3s

j4m3s

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I will start of by giving an over view on my pc just for your refrence.

32.ghz
200gb hdd
1gb ram
windows xp home sp2
Nod32 & Avast antivirus.

(In case you are wondering, i installed Avast without uninstalling Nod32, I did the restart & was planning to uninstall nod32 this is when the following occurred)

When i start my pc it gets t the windows xp home login screen, I log in, the desktop oads the icons in the bottom right hand corner tollbar begin to load, it gets through some of them, different ones each time. Suddenly an error message pops up on the screen "Error loading obsoletefc-upd.dll, the specified modeul not found".

Please bear in mind this message was displayed every time i went on my pc but it was this evening that it stopped working.

I have tried restarting & going to msconfig as quickly as possible so i could try & stop nod32 loading but 5 or so seconds isn't really enough time to do so.

I really need to get this problem sorted asap, I can't REALLY afford to loose the data on my pc either.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

James

Advertisements

j4m3s

j4m3s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Any ideas?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
may i suggest booting into safe mode by pressing the f 8 key before windows loads. i would use the boot logging option just keep in mind where the log is stored.either option 1 or 4 will use the minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows. to me, this sounds like the typical conflicting virus program battle.

j4m3s

j4m3s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Problem solved, thanks very much for all the help.

Regards

James

khro

khro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem but I use Vista