Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade plan

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Because it's a single slot cooler it cannot keep up in many cases. In fact Evga is having so many problems they made a dual slot solution that should be on the market soon. I believe they are replacing the single slot cooler.

While there is a BIOS fix, if you don't know what you are doing you can very eaisly create a paper weight. I'd suggest just using rivaturner.
James

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The BIOS fix is simply running an exe file in Windows. :) But I agree, for OCing I would take a dual-slot cooler any day.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The BIOS fix is simply running an exe file in Windows. :) But I agree, for OCing I would take a dual-slot cooler any day.

If it's just a .exe file people must be downloading the wrong on, either way, people are messing it up somehow and making really expensive paperweights.
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 February 2008 - 07:55 PM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I received my video card today, and am expecting to recieve the motherboard and memory tomorrow or the next day.

I must say i'm happy with the video card (as in, packaging, items included and junk. Don't have a compatable setup just yet to actually test it!).

It came with the drivers, PCIe power (I don't need this though), two converters for VGA (won't need these either), and two TV out cable things (Won't be needing these :)).

Also, coming with Company of Heroes was really nice. I won't need to borrow it off a friend now :)

Just thought i'd let you know i'm getting close to assembling my new hardware.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Always an exciting time. Good luck.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
It hurts having an 8800GT just...sitting in a box. Oh it pains me greatly.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

It hurts having an 8800GT just...sitting in a box. Oh it pains me greatly.

I was the other way around! I had everything assembled and I was waiting on the graphics card for about a week! It was posted to me in good time, of course, but the suspense, well it killed me! :)

Just try and leave it in the box for now, minimal touching/fingerprints/dropping is preferable :)

Troy

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

but the suspense, well it killed me! :)

Weird, it seems like you're still alive :)
James

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Got all the parts and assembled them. Everything went smoothly, kind of. I assembled all of the new parts, but while I was doing that I found a problem with the HDD I was going to put in. The HDD was out of my fathers computer, and I was going to put another one in his.

The problem here was that the SATA cable would not lock in (It had been siliconed into my fathers computer). The motherboard only has one IDE port, but 6 SATA ports. The IDE port is taken by my dvd burner, and if I plug in both my old HDD and the dvd burner (slave/master) neither of them get recognised.

I booted up holding in the SATA connection myself (booted up using a windows 98SE install disk). I ran fdisk and it recognised the drive. So I deleted the partition on it, and remade it (I'm going to have to buy a new harddrive, so I just made a single partition, for temporary use). When I ran the setup, it said it couldn't find a drive.

I only needed to use 98SE to format the drive, so I tried partition logic, but the program had a boot failure when it was detecting the IDE drive (dvd burnder in this case). So I tried booting up Ubuntu to try using GParted. Ubuntu didn't want to boot up either. So then I tried booting up into the Fedora install to try and format it there. It didn't seem to recognise the HDD there.

Is this a problem with the HDD, or the software I have?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I don't exactly understand what as silconed to your dads computer. You are going to need one of these: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812232004.

I strongly suggest getting a SATA HDD. You can get a 250GB for about $60.

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
The SATA cable was siliconed onto the SATA HDD. I have a SATA HDD, and I don't need my old IDE. I was planning on getting rid of it with this upgrade. It just turns out that the HDD I was getting from my parents it's well... screwed.

I've done some reading, and it seems that 98SE support SATA perfectly well.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Where did you get the HDD and who glued the connector onto the drive?

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
The HDD was from my parents old computer. They got it from a friend of theirs. He thought he knew a lot about computers, and I used to think so too, but lately i've come to realise he had absolutely no idea at all.

The problem here was that I couldn't format the drive. I just plugged in both the SATA and PATA (The PATA was my old harddrive, and still has Windows on it) and booted from the PATA. Windows recognised the SATA (yay!) and i'm formatting it in Windows. We'll see how this goes :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
And all this while you are still holding in a SATA connector to the hard drive? Use some electrical tape for goodness sake!

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm not holding it anymore =p. It's sitting on the table in a position that keeps the SATA cable in.

I managed to format it, but now when I boot up into dos using a boot CD, and then take that cd out, and put my win xp install in (need to use winnt.exe), it all seems to just...not work.