Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardrive Failure. All is lost?

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Okay this is going to be quite long because of all that I have to describe so please bear with me.

Saturday morning I woke up and my computer was off. That's not logical because my computer is never off. I tried starting the copmuter and it wouldn't start, it would come on for 3-4 seconds, shut right back off. My brother has gone to college and studied computers so I relied on him. We took the hardrive out, took it to my grandma's and put it in her computer and my brother somehow got on her hardrive but accessed my hardrive from there and the stuff in there was not accessible and even appeared to be erased. I was really unhappy at that point. So we came back home, I was really upset and crying because I have these pictures that are my prized possessions and I was too stupid to put them on my external hardrive (please spare me the "You're a retard"'s.) because I didn't know something like this was gonna happen. So I decided to give it one more try and the computer started up! It crashed once or twice but I managed to (or I THOUGHT so) get the pictures off but here's the complicated part. I was sending the whole folder containing all of my picture folders to my external hardrive and the computer crashed right in the middle of it all. I started it back up once more and I scrolled over one of my folders in my external hardrive and the size said "1 something gb" so I was thinking 'Okay, it's over a gigabyte so I got everything from that folder onto my external hardrive." It turns out I didn't. There is a video in there that makes it over a gb in size and I had thought that it was my pictures but it wasn't. I was too stupid to open up the external hardrive and open up that folder to look and see if I had all of my pictures. So the computer crashed, we started it back up Sunday morning and I can't remember the error exactly but it's some type of disk failure error and tells me to press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I do so, the same error continues to pop-up. My brother tried stuff to no avail so we decided to get a new modem. I have a vista now and I am just wondering, please guys, is there ANY way that I can somehow get that xp computer hardrive started to get those remaining pictures off? I know the answer is no but I just had to ask. Those pictures mean everything to me and I'm sure a lot of you can relate on knowing how priceless pictures are.

edit: For extra reference, I don't have a xp repair cd.

Edited by ILoveDaniel, 22 January 2008 - 01:31 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ILoveDaniel...

It's always frustrating when something like this happens and I'll spare you any comments about backing up often. If the drive still spins and the read heads are still in working order, there is a good chance that your data can be recovered using data recovery software. You'll have to install the software on another machine and install your hard drive on that machine as a slave as you did before.

GetDataBack works very well in most cases and will allow you to run the recovery action at no cost. However, in order to complete the recovery and actually copy the data off the old drive to another location, you'll have to purchase a license for it which is about $90.00. In some cases, this is a prohibitive cost, but if your data is irreplaceable, it's a small price to pay.

It takes a long time to run this software on the drive, but it will show you what can be recovered before paying for it. Use the default recovery settings and make sure to get the version for the file system on the drive to be recovered (FAT of NTFS).

wannabe1

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thank you very much for replying. :)

Unbenownst to me my brother took the hardrive to his apartment so if he cannot fix it then I will get it back and continue trying myself!!!!