Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager Not Appearing [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Oooh errr.

That sounds bad.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not really that is why I need to do a little research first

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are these the sort of symptoms you are getting http://www.computerc...eatingtip.shtml

http://www.ehow.com/...g-computer.html

http://www.gamegiant...p?articles_id=1

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Right - I'm positive now it's overheating.

I've talked to one of the Technicians who deals with computers who I saw today - I told him about my problem and he said it was almost definitely that the fan or circuit boards were clogged up with dust. I wouldn't really be surprised at this - the computer is on a carpeted floor, tucked away in a corner of a room with doesn't get hooved very often.

Looking through the grills in the side of my PC, they do look really clogged up with dust. Tomorrow I'll pick up a can of compressed air, and carefully unscrew the case and clean it up, if you think that's a good thing to do?

I'm now downloading a utility to check my CPU temperature - I'll post it here when it's done, so you can see if it's overheating for definite.

~ Jack

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Those dust bunnies do multiply if you don't keep an eye on them

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hmmmph. And double hmmmphhh.

I cleaned out most of the dust that was clogging up my system. I was quite surprised when I think it started up faster than it ever had done before!

However sadly after 10 minutes of being on it stopped again. Bummer.

That might make me believe that in fact it isn't an overheating error - surely the CPU wouldn't overheat in just 10 minutes?

Any further ideas? I'm almost punching myself in frustration over this...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I think the next stage would be to check that the fans are working. However this is now reaching the limits of my knowledge. I will try to get one of the techs to take over or you could resume your initial topic with the info that you are not infected and the dust bunnies have gone.. I feel that they will ask for information on the fans. Is your system quieter now than it used to be (no fans running). Maybe you could remove the casing and leave it off for a while to see if the crashes stop. If they do it would probably indicate the casing fan, if they don't then it could be the CPU fan

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Gah, darn it. The system still sounds the same fan-sound-wise (sounds like a jet-engine taking off! It's always been very noisy, I suppose it's just a cheap fan). I can feel the air coming out the back.

Tomorrow morning I will take the casing off and try running without casing on, see if that makes a difference.

If not, I'll run along to the hardware forum... :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
K I wait with bated breath

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Right, well I took both sides off and it still crashes as before.

So I guess now that it probably isn't overheating, unless there's too much dust or something where I can't see it.

Hmm, perhaps its the CPU fan.

Now I'm left with this - I don't actually know which fan is which... :-)

Basically I can see three fans at the moment. Number 1 is small and black, its attached to the back of the case and is spinning normally. There is one wire coming out of it, but I can't see where its going. There is a small grill on the back of the case where this air is coming out.

The second fan is bright blue with a swirly pattern in the middle that looks nice when the fans spinning, which it is at the moment. It says Foxconn on it when it's still (when the PCs off). This is spinning quite fast and looks like it's attached to the motherboard.

The third and final fan that I can see is in a large box at the top of the tower. The box has "Switching Power Supply" printed on it. I can't really see if this fan's working or not because there's obviously a big box in the way - but it feels like some air current is coming out of it from the back, but this might just be from the first fan because they are very close on the back of the case.

Any further ideas? It appears that all fans are working, but you mentioned CPU fan - does this sound like any of them, or is it something else?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

The second fan is bright blue with a swirly pattern in the middle that looks nice when the fans spinning, which it is at the moment. It says Foxconn on it when it's still (when the PCs off). This is spinning quite fast and looks like it's attached to the motherboard.

That is probably the CPU fan. Definitely out of ideas now as I believe it is a hardware versus software problem. What you need is a programme that will monitor the temps and voltages. But, that would be way over my head I'm afraid. Unfortunately it looks like you will need a trip to the hardware forum where the real experts are

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
OK Essexboy. I'd like to thank you for all the help you've given me so far - I'm greatful that we got the task manager problem sorted out, and I've posted about the hardware issue in the hardware forum: http://www.geekstogo...em-t186929.html

Thank you SO much for giving up your own time to help me,

~ Jack

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry I could not be of more help - but I will follow your other thread - Good luck

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.