Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something Strange Happened

• Please log in to reply

Grendos

Grendos

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, just recently I got a new computer with Vista, and even more recently I have ran into a problem. Last night everything was fine, but today when I get on some things happened

• My main Admin account no longer had it's password (the account I used before shutting down last night)
  • My background changed to black
  • All my items (except my reclycling bin) was no longer on my desktop
  • Opera has basicly had its cache deleted to where it's like I just recently installed it
  • I can't make any new folders on my desktop
  • I can't use iTunes [EDIT: I went into my program files and did run as admin, now it works (never had to run as admin before)]
  • I can't put anything from a folder onto the desktop
  • EDIT: Can't use pdf files.

The wierdest thing about this is that I have multiple accounts on this computer but only the account I was using last night was effected. The only thing I can think of what happened is I downloaded a program from a not-so-secure source, thinking it was safe from what I could see (30 people seeded it). But when I clicked on the installer nothing happened, the first thing I thought was that I had just installed a virus of some sort, so I downloaded a 30 day anti virus program recomended in the Windows Vista Security Center, I did a scan and it said their wasn't anything found. But now today it seems something has gone wrong. Right now I am doing another scan with a different program and it jsut finished with once again, nothing found. Does anyone know a solution to my problem. I am fine with the desktop being clear, and I can live without iTunes, but I want to be able to add stuff back to my desktop.

I will be updating this with any new problems I come upon.

Edited by Grendos, 22 January 2008 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Grendos,

In short that user account is corrupted. From time to time profiles can get corrupted multiple different ways. The only solution I have found so far is creating a new user account and copying over the data.

Edited by tuxmaster, 01 February 2008 - 02:19 AM.