Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.exe files

• Please log in to reply

potatogurl

potatogurl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everybody, new here!

Ok, to the problem. None of the .exe files (includes setups, apps) I've downloaded fairly recently have been opening! For example, when I try to open them, a window pops up saying "... has encountered a problem and needs to close." I've tried deactivating my anti-virus, restarting, and redownloading. Nothing I know works! The files work if I transfer them from another computer. Also, files downloaded before my computer started messing up are still working.

Any ideas?

XP user, btw.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what kind of files? please give an example.

potatogurl

potatogurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
.exe

Such as: setups (for anything), applications (like Photoshop), things like that

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
downloaded from?????

potatogurl

potatogurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
They can be from anywhere. Even official sites, like the Windows homepage.

Maybe it's just the hardware? My computer's kind of old, and it's hp.

Edited by potatogurl, 30 January 2008 - 03:09 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Well, here is the issue. If you are downloading applications like photoshop from limewire, bit torrent, or other p2p sites, then you are opening up your self to being infected with malware. Lets not get into the fact that not all "downloads" are what they are reported to be.

At Geekstogo, we don't help with illegeally obtained software. This is per our terms of service. However, We are glad to help in other areas. I'm sorry if this seems a bit over the top, but your answers lead me to believe that the above is true.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I think at the very least we should make sure your pc is free of malware.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

When you get a clean bill of health, let me know and we can see how to best fix your issues.

Regards,
Starjax

Edited by starjax, 30 January 2008 - 01:49 PM.

potatogurl

potatogurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, thanks.

stuckwu

stuckwu

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
regarding exe files: once the program is installed, can I simply delete the exe icon from my desktop?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes, you can.